The Energy Select Sector SPDR Fund (:XLE)
Old Forum Content for XLEMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
I am looking at the $DIA and $IWM for longs. The sectors are $XLB,$XLE,$XLF,$XLV and I am eyeing the $SMH as well. I know that has more to do with the $QQQ's but that sector has shown some strength recently. The stocks I am looking at within thes ...
- scottrades: Opening Strength in $XLE. I added some to my $SLB
- scottrades: @scottrades $XLE $SLB Selling my add on this give back.
- 1993dean: @DAN $SPY $DIA $UNH $MDY $IWM $QQQ $T2108 $T2107 $WBA $JPM $SGML $LLY $TBT $TNX $XLE $BTU $HAL $APA $HES $LNG $BITO $DVAX $METC $CEIX $AMR $ARCH $ARLP
So what do we do now. We continue our top down approach by looking for the strong indices ($DIA and $IWM) and then look at the ETF's that are performing, and ultimately the stocks within those ETF's. I am focused on the $DIA components, the $XLE,t ...
- Docoof: @Rockstar $SPY $DIA $IWM $QQQ $DXY $HYG $VIX $XLE $XLV $XBI $XLB $KO $KHC $TLRY $WEAT $PG $UNG $TMUS $DVN Helpful—Thank you, Rocky.
- scottrades: Nice continuation on $XLE Stocks.
- Rjeletrik: @scottrades $XLE $SLB nice call!
- vcondry: @Rockstar $SPY $DIA $IWM $QQQ $DXY $HYG $VIX $XLE $XLV $XBI $XLB $KO $KHC $TLRY $WEAT $PG $UNG $TMUS $DVN thank you for the insight as always!
- vitoB: $SD. Instead of messin around with tech should have just been holding this one. If it’s not in the $XLE or $XME I’m not holding longer than a week. I’m gonna put a time clock on any positions I take until year end.
- woodman: @vitoB $SD $XLE $XME - $SD working well. Nice call. I bought some after you posted.
$XLE -- Energy stocks remain strong. Not much of a pullback.
$BTU -- Coal stock with a high base that is tightening. Watch this as it approaches $30. Alert $29.00
$HAL -- Aggressive only.
$APA -- C&H forming. This really needs more time bef ...
- phgruver: $XLE and $XLU are both looking pretty good, in this crappy tape.... (I'm sitting on my hands.)
- natural: @phgruver $XLE I'm trying hard to save myself from myself here with $XLE. I sold my $ERX a couple of days early and want back in... waiting for the pullback that never happened is tough. This is where I tend to get myself into trouble.
- phgruver: @natural $XLE $ERX Yes, these are extended! I'm holding $APA $ENB and $KMI, and have some $90 calls on $XLE. I wish I had more, but I can't buy more here....
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY Rejected at the AVWAP $QQQ Closed under the FTD $TNX Back above the 8EMA $TBT Back above the 8EMA $XLE Upside Reversal $TAN Bumping up against the 200 Day $CORN Still have this $INDA Still watching this for a trend change #Bitcoin Still chopping around 20K $SLB Bought some of this today $DVN Nice move off the 100 EMA $OXY Holding the 21 EMA. Earnings Nov 8 $DINO Working, Earnings Nov 7 $BSM Working, Earnings out of way. $FSLR Still going $ENPH Above the 8EMA $ARRY Just under the 50 Day. Earnings nov 8 $GOOGL New low, Watch for a bounce, but don’t front run. $AMZN Watch for a bounce. $AAPL Watch the recent low. $MSFT Fresh Low $BJ Near the highs, Earnings Nov 17
- natural: $XLE straight up from this mornings bottom. Computers ruling this one.
- scottrades: @natural $XLE News Headlines as well: Saudi Arabia, U.S. on High Alert After Warning of Imminent Iranian Attack https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-u-s-on-high-alert-after-warning-of-imminent-iranian-attack-11667319274
- natural: $ERY (short $XLE) catching a bid here. I'm looking for that $85 level on $XLE that @rockstar noted.
$XLE and $XBI are where you should be looking.
$SPY -- Back to the bears. The prevailing downtrend remains intact. Don’t look for contrary evidence
$DIA -- Another fail at the 200-day MA
$QQQ -- Selling
$COMPQX -- Selling.
Active Trade List: ...
- scottrades: $XLE has filled the downside gap
Good Morning. Think for a moment if you were on the wrong side of the market last week. The heavyweights reported earnings and all but $AAPL and $maybe $TSLA took major haircuts, yet the market kept on going up. The place to be was and still is in ...
- scottrades: $XLE News: Biden to float windfall tax on energy producers: https://apnews.com/article/biden-business-prices-government-and-politics-ba71f46a47c2be5a2ffd58a258796260
- traderbren: @scottrades $XLE - LOL...typical when they should be "drill baby drill"
- teacher5: @scottrades $XLE That’ll only hurt the consumer.
- champ: @teacher5 $LNG ....#Negative-News...Uncle Joe Biden plans to float a #Tax on energy producers.....and that News drop the sector ($XLE) and the Markets....
- teacher5: @champ $LNG $XLE #Negative-News #Tax Thanks, Champ. I always appreciate your insights and posts.
- champ: @scottrades $XLE....I'm seeing now that you already posted that Negative energy News.....about that new Tax,....I guess he must be wanting to lose even more votes.
- sgiseller: @champ $LNG $XLE #Negative-News #Tax we all know that this is not a happening thing, read my lips, "no new taxes"
- gtr89: @champ $XLE Does he have any left?
- DrScience: @gtr89 $XLE What does your comment have to do with $XLE
- DrScience: #Markets $SPY $SPX Plenty of action over the lunch hour to make junior traders gag on their burritos. Market is turning from the bullish green shoots of the move above to two-sided trade on either side of a flat VWAP. No new LOD, but still in play. Breadth has changed little, while Sectors are 5:6 positive, and TICKs more neutral as $XLE digests news about a tax on producers.
- champ: @sgiseller $LNG $XLE #Negative-News #Tax....Exactly and that why I added to my positions .....because he doesn't have the Votes for that.....however thats why the sector and the markets dropped.
- joelsg1: @traderbren $XLE They don't want to drill new wells, see $DVN CEO frequent comments, because they doubt they'll recover capital costs due to unstable prices and the inexorable move to renewables.
- Carpe_Diem: @champ $LNG $XLE #Negative-News #Tax - I agree. Me thinks he needs to talk down the Price of Crude to refill the reserves.
I mentioned on Monday that the $DIA and $IWM were looking to be the strongest of the indices in this market. In fact, the $DIA has been holding up the $SPY. Could it be that institutional managers were rotating out of the generals into other s ...
- natural: $ERY for the rest in $XLE
- Mikev200: Many gas n oil pulled back to the 8 dma and bounced. Got taken out of several. Watch next week and see if these are done OR resume. $XOM and $CVX reported today, both beat. $XOM $XLE $VLO $APA $DVN $MRO $HAL $SLB.
- natural: $XLE breather here? MMs take $ from $XLE to bet on $QQQ? Not that I think $XLE is done going higher, but it's been crushing it lately, like 30%+ in the last 24 trading days with 11 straight, and 14 of 15 green days. I'm going @rockstar here, and playing with some Fibs: Somewhere between the .236 ($85.45) and .382 ($82.24) pullback is the 21 day, and about the breakout level of $84ish. The .500 ($79.65) is just about the 50DMA. The .618 is at $77.05 - that's way down there, and not all gaps need to be filled, but $76.49 would close one. By the time it gets there, the 200DMA will likely be there, too. Just one dude's opinion.
- champ: $DK $XLE $ERX $GUSH $OIH $IEO $USO $XOP $CVX $VLO $DVN $PSCE $EOG .....there is a lot going on in this Sector and Traders are very active....with there Dart-boards...because #everything is still dancing up that mountain.
- vcondry: $XOM and $CVX report tomorrow. Might pickup some $XLE
- scottrades: Energy showing early strength. $XLE
- cmaxwel1: @scottrades $XLE (selling some limit order at $90)
- woodman: @traderbren $OXY #Just_FYI - $OIH has been the clear winner among the 3 major oil and gas ETFs in October (since Sept 9/26 low). OIH is up about 48% since the low (right bottom of its "W" pattern) of 9/26. Since that time, $XLE is up about 30% and $XOP is up about 32%. Of the 3, OIH is the one I've been riding.
- scottrades: @veghead $XLE looks a bit extended and I don't want to be caught if we get an overnight gap down. I'm still involved but want to take some off into strength.
- veghead: @scottrades $XLE Thanks for the insight
So how do we prepare for the week? The $DIA is leading the market with the $IWM coming in second, the $SPY third and the $QQQ's bringing up the rear. Will that change this week with the earnings reports? The $XLE has been the best sector and I see ...
- scottrades: @sagsworth $SPY $IWM $QQQ I think SPY Looks the best out of those 3. I think $XLE and $OIH look the best. Also $TLT might give you a bounce trade.
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY / $QQQ Rally in tact (for now) $IWM Wish there was more volume $DIA Above the 50 Day $KWEB China getting hit $UUP Still holding around the 21 EMA $TNX Trend in tact $TBT Not going down yet $VIX Still above the 50 Day $XLE Working great $OIH Same $GLD Inside Day $XBI Tightening up $XLP Higher High #Bitcoin - I sent out a note about BTC. Read that if interested. $SSO / $QLD working $AMZN Posted the chart intraday $MSFT Watch the MAs above $AAPL Same $GOOGL Same $TSLA Needs a higher low $XOM Consider moving up stop $DVN Stop moved up. Earnings Nov 1 $MRO Working $VRTX Good Breakout $AMR Squeezing out of a base. $CHWY Potential Reversal base $DKS Basing $MUSA Mentioned in the forum $DV Great volume $FNKO At the 50 Day
There is one sector that has performed well this week and that is the energy sector. I placed a bullish trade on the $XLE earlier this week and have closed out half my position. I placed that trade on the $XLE based upon my belief that energy com ...
- scottrades: $XLE Continuing higher.
- woodman: @scottrades $XLE - And $OIH which continues to lead.
- scottrades: @woodman $XLE $OIH I think $DVN is looking good here.
- woodman: @scottrades $XLE $OIH $DVN - Are you looking at $80 as resistance? Inverse heads and shoulders are everywhere in the oil and gas stocks. So breaks of the necklines could lead to juicier measured moves.
- scottrades: @woodman $XLE $OIH $DVN Yeah, seeing this trendline it's battling right now.
- woodman: $OIH is outperforming the other oil and gas etfs of late ($XLE $XOP). The big guns within $OIH are moving well. $SLB has been a beast for the last nearly 4 weeks and is leading all OIH component stocks today following earnings this morning (it beat on earnings but missed on revenue; I haven't seen the guidance). But look at $HAL (the second best performer in the OIH today behind SLB - I'm guessing a move based on SLB). It's been a laggard for months, but it's breaking out of long-lasting consolidation under the 200d up through it today. Might it finally be ready to chase $SLB? Lots of room above for it to catch up. HAL reports 10/25 bmo.
- vcondry: @woodman $OIH $XLE $XOP $SLB $HAL thanks for the idea on $HAL
- cgendro1: @woodman $OIH $XLE $XOP $SLB $HAL I took a position in $HAL a few days ago based on the weekly chart. Very nice!
- woodman: @cgendro1 $OIH $XLE $XOP $SLB $HAL - Nice!
- Maxtrade: @woodman $OIH $XLE $XOP $SLB $HAL where do u see oih resistance? Keeps going up +10 ea day
- traderbren: #Cup_&_Handle - lots of C&H break outs in some energy names, namely $VLO $XLE, etc
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY/$QQQ Follow Through Day $UUP Under the 21 EMA $USDJPY Potential Yentervention $TBT Consider moving up a stop $TLT Tradable low? $TNX Downside reversal but not out of the woods yet. $XLE Working great $OIH Extended but working $XOP Good volume not as extended. $GLD Moving up with the market $GDX/$NUGT Good volume $XBI Channel $INDA India Higher Lowl #Bitcoin - Added some today $SSO Bought this today $QLD Bought this today $DVN Bought this today $OXY Working $EOG Working $XOM Working $PBT Watch the 19.15 zone $VNOM Near some highs $LNG Fine $AAPL Good volume Watch the MAs $AMZN Right at resistance $GOOGL Needs a higher high $MSFT Watch 244 $HUM Nice base
I think the CPI Low from Thursday is a “Good Low” for tradable rallys, I do want to stay open minded but will still be trading small and focusing on $XLE, $SSO and $QLD.
Let’s have a great day!
- Cjauger: $XLE, $VLO, $LNG,, $TSLA at HOD
- joelsg1: $XLE Stopped out for small profit.
- phgruver: @joelsg1 $XLE I bought 1 share, a few days ago, as a tracking position. It's turning out to be one of my best trades! I think energy has a ways to run, but it won't be in a straight line. Good idea to lock in profits when you have them.
- scottrades: @phgruver $XLE heard a great line today "Energy is the captain now.."
- natural: @phgruver $XLE Agreed. I think pullbacks are buys here. Long $ERX and building the position on pullbacks. Sell a bit on a rip, buy a bit on a dip...
- cmaxwel1: @joelsg1 $XLE sold partial at 85.11 cost basis 70
- jeff_free69: @joelsg1 $XLE cranked up my stops and just sold my $GUSH ( +13%) gotta keep it tight on this 2X fund. Keeping it looser on $XLE
- joelsg1: @phgruver $XLE Yes. Trailing and fairly tight stops on all new trades that start profitable to lock in something.
- joelsg1: @cmaxwel1 $XLE Nice, you can afford looser stops.
- scottrades: My notes: $SPY Resistance above the 21 EMA $QQQ Same $UUP Flagging...eek. $VIX New Lower Low $TNX Fresh High $TLT Fresh Low $XLE Still in trend $XOP Look got a bounce off support $TAN Under the MAs $XHB The 30 year-fixed mortgage rate hit 7.37%, the highest since 2000. $GLD Needs to find some support. #Bitcoin 19K All Day $OXY Still in trend but choppy $EOG Consider moving up stops $FANG Looks the same $XOM Look for a PB $DPC watch 39.50 $DVN Pretty clear where resistance is $LNG Trend is fine $BAH Earnings Next Week $CAH Watch 72.35 $CF At the 50 Day $HQY Near the highs $HSY Around some key MAs
- scottrades: $XLE perking up
- traderbren: @scottrades $XLE - yep, gas in your tank! $XOM got a little closer to 305
- woodman: $XLE $XOP $OIH are testing necklines of inverse heads and shoulders. Looks like OIH has moved thru its. But it has some horizontal resistance to negotiate a little higher.
- joelsg1: $XLE Bought this am, following #Minervini.
- Justhanging48: @joelsg1 $XLE #Minervini I got in on this too
- woodman: @joelsg1 $XLE #Minervini - I opted for $OIH. Similar inverse head and shoulders threatening to take out necklines for OIH XLE $XOP.
- Docoof: @woodman $XLE $OIH $XOP #Minervini Double the fun size for $OIH is $ONG, but the volume is often < 10k and it’s a fairly new ETF.
- scottto_2: @joelsg1 $XLE #Minervini - Can anyone fill in any details about following Minervini? I know who he is, of course, just wondering what his thesis for the trade was....
- Docoof: @scottto_2 $XLE #Minervini Here is his tweet this morning: Bought the $XLE this morning. Last time I bought the $XLE was on January 3, 2022. I'm hoping my timing is just as good this time as last, but we are now later in the move in a cyclical group.
- natural: @scottto_2 $XLE #Minervini @joelsg1 @woodman Double $XLE is $ERX
- scottto_2: @Docoof $XLE #Minervini - Moochers Gracias!
- Mikev200: $XLE to hod
- scottrades: @Mikev200 $XLE You love to see it. $XOM $MRO $OXY $EOG $DVN
- Cjauger: $XLE at HOD
- traderbren: @Mikev200 $XLE - yep, nothing like Biden's news conference to prime the pump! ;-) And while we about it, let's blame the gas stations for hiking the price at the pump. Clueless!
- woodman: @Cjauger $XLE - Bought $OIH this morning. Working the best of the three ($OIH $XOP $XLE) thus far. It's moved up through the inverse head and shoulders neckline, as well as some horizontal resistance just above.
- Docoof: @woodman $XLE $OIH $XOP There is an equivalent that’s keeping pace and, in my opinion (which is much influenced by what I’ve learned from you), has perhaps a stronger chart then $OIH—namely, $IEZ.
- woodman: @Docoof $XLE $OIH $XOP $IEZ - Thanks. I've not traded IEZ before.
- Cjauger: @Docoof $VLO yess! as did $XLE, winter is coming, Europe will struggle
- joelsg1: @woodman $XLE $OIH $XOP $IEZ Equipment and services, rather have the Tea, hence $XLE.
- woodman: @Cjauger $VLO $XLE https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-19/truss-s-tories-win-vote-on-uk-fracking-ban-motion#xj4y7vzkg
- woodman: @joelsg1 $XLE $OIH $XOP $IEZ - You may be right. I was looking at breaks of resistance areas and the space to move higher to next resistance, and OIH looked more attractive on those chart measures at this particular snapshot of time. But more time will tell.
- vcondry: @joelsg1 $SPY #LarryWilliams I bought some $FAS (doing nothing), $XLE (very close to doing nothing), and $TSLA $250 calls expiring Oct 28th (up 20%) early this morning. I did take @CHAMP 's advice friday and bought some $BAC $32 calls expiring this friday right before 4pm and they returned 140% this morning (sold half/kept half). I would say overall my sentiment is still bearish though. I don't trust the rally but I don't want to buck the trend of the moment.
- joelsg1: @vcondry $SPY $FAS $XLE $TSLA $BAC #LarryWilliams Nice, really the Blue Chips working.
- vitoB: $XOP and $XLE are beast mode but next best etfs are banks and semis. This is good for the short term
- gmj: $XLE, $XOP, $EGY bouncing off the 50ma bought sm starter $EGY SL below the 50ma
- scottrades: Energy still strong. $XLE $OIH
The investment seeks to provide investment results that, before expenses, correspond generally to the price and yield performance of publicly traded equity securities of companies in The Energy Select Sector Index. In seeking to track the performance of the index, the fund employs a replication strategy. It generally invests substantially all, but at least 95%, of its total assets in the securities comprising the index. The index includes companies from the following industries: oil, gas & consumable fuels; and energy equipment & services. The fund is non-diversified.Request Video of XLE
Already a member? Sign in here.
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 30 day trial membership for just $7.77. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 90,400 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (90,400) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 30 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!