Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:WLL)
Old Forum Content for WLLMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- spmeyers: $WLL just about breaking out; it's pullback was milder than a lot of other oil/gas plays
- spmeyers: @debeers $CRZO $APC or maybe $WLL instead
- bsafriet: @champ $GUSH $MPC $ERX #Off-Shore-Markets I saw gasoline prices at $3.00/gal when I was out and about earlier. My guess is that refiners and retail are going to be raking it in. Will be adding to names already holding and looking for others. Long $VLO $DK $HFC $BP. How much further can this move in the domestic oil and gas industry run? I don’t know but I’m keeping trailing stops and will ride this move until I get bucked off. Other names I’m holding are: $ECA $WFT $OKE $BHGE $SLCA $WLL $OAS $VNOM $USO (calls) $XOP (calls) and $GUSH (day & swing trades).
- singlemalt: @traderbren $RRC It's been a laggard, but has now moved back above the 50d, broken the LT downtrend, and appears ready to play catch up, also breaking out of a symmetrical triangle of sorts. A while back I noticed that $OAS was lagging $WLL, and remembered they used to move together. Bot $OAS in late April seeing a wedge forming, which resolved favorably. I think you're on to something. Time for another starter position.
- singlemalt: @singlemalt $RRC $OAS $WLL spreads are pretty good on $RRC. Bot some Aug$16's for $1.12
- issues: @JBed $BZUN It looks to be in a trading channel. Today I did as Dan suggested and "sold some." I sold some or all of these: $AAPL $ABMD $ADBE $ATI $COP $ETFC $FB $FFIV $HAE $LGCY $OLLI $OXLC $VMW $WLL $WRD $XPO.
- JBed: @issues $BZUN $AAPL $ABMD $ADBE $ATI $COP $ETFC $FB $FFIV $HAE $LGCY $OLLI $OXLC $VMW $WLL $WRD $XPO I should have done the same. Well, next time it gets to the top of that channel...
- issues: Sold $LGIH (bearish engulfing pattern) bought oil with Iran spigot turned off $WLL $CRZO $SQ $WRD $LGCY
- GOOSE: @Mickey Hi Mickey, Welcome. If you would capitalize the symbol, and put a dollar sign in front of it, we would be most appreciative, because then we could hover over the symbol and see a chart. E.g., $WLL. Have a great day.
- bsafriet: $XOP $HAL. The oil patch was weak on the open and I had a few trailing stops trigger. Momentum seems to have returned to the sector, but not as robust as tech. I sold my $HAL call options for a small profit as the trade was b Elgin nin g to look li ...
- jeffslm: $WLL - Continued move higher
- champ: $WLL @ $32.50 has now bounce about $11 off of Februarys low entry
- spmeyers: $WLL oil, breaking out on volume
- DAN: @spmeyers $WLL Nice posts, today, spmeyers. Really helpful. Like WLL, and agree that volume is pretty thin in the broader market, making me suspicious of the moves. Thanks. :-)
- champ: @spmeyers $WLL ---- This is a extremely strong move today...and should continue for a #few days. Oil is only down around a $1.20... from the recent high.
$WLL – breakout
$APC – might work.
$TRHC – back at the top of channel. Take some profits on “trades”?
$LIVN – squeezing below $90. Alert $89.50
$BLUE – still holding it? Closer to the botto ...
- champ: $WLL up over 25% ....this is what happens on low earnings exceptions, when they beat.
- geotheo: $WLL $SWN $STO $QEP $NE $NBR $GPOR $ESV $CHK $APA Some Energy stock that haven't run a bunch (a.k.a. laggards) that I'm watching. Most are hanging out just below the 200ma, 50ma, or have multiple bottoms. Most need a little pull back for safer entries. Energy working. Maybe these boats will be lifted.
- woodman: $WLL - continues to bounce. Nice candles today (so far) and prior two days.
- champ: @woodman $WLL ---- They are saying ...M&A rumors.....but could be true.
- Lou: @champ $WLL - IMO opinion this is not an acquisition candidate. Way too much debt for any company to assume!
- champ: @Lou $WLL ----- They are taking about $HAL....rumors are great for traders but I hand pick....look at the volume and that should tell everyone, that Spec traders are at Work or the stock would be much higher...for that reason I have NP.....and I agree....but you never know.
- woodman: @champ @Lou - $WLL $HAL - I just trade the charts and patterns. :-)
- woodman: @cmac $SLCA - I added on the spike as well. Also added to $WLL.
- woodman: @tigerjohn8 $FMSA - You could add on pullbacks to short term moving averages (e.g. 5 or 8dEMAs). Also, stagger those kinds of adds with another ticker or two in the sand/oil patch. The entire sector is on the move and many charts look the same. I bought $WLL today, to go with my sand stocks $FMSA and $SLCA.
- woodman: $WLL doing well today.
- Thebigshort: @champ $PXD $FANG $EOG $PDCE $CXO $XEC $wll. What do you think of wll. Used to be a favorite in the forum.
- Thebigshort: $wll. @dan. Hi Dan I noticed that wll is starting to peek out of the penalty box. I bought 5 calls of the sep 4. For .57. What do you think?
- DAN: @Thebigshort $wll I think it's too soon. Nice move today, but it's still in a downtrend.
- Thebigshort: @DAN $wll .I thought that it was a bullish engulfing candle stick. Where the high was more than the last 2 trading days. I have the sep 4 strike. Where should i put my stop. Thanks.
- tejas7: oil/gas stocks. another leg lower $WLL $EMES $UNG etc
- stairm01: $WLL CC candidate. Looks to be finding a solid bottom as it's consolidated and had a double bottom pattern over the last 3 months. This has weekly options and the Covered Call premium has done me well.
- cmac: $WLL good earnings...looks like a nice double bottom being put in. no position
Oil continues its free fall - $ETE $WLL $MRO $RIG
$IYT - transports also not looking good
Working: $AVGO $OA $ATVI $FB $AMAT $MO $LLY
$ABM - Now starting phase 2 of this vol squeeze
$PNRA - new 52 week high, coming out of high base
$EXPE - bit o ...
- Bridget: Oil is plummeting $XLE $WLL $SLB $USO $OIH. Inventories are up http://www.economiccalendar.com/2017/03/08/eia-reports-crude-oil-stockpiles-rise-8-2-million-barrels-wti-oil-price-rallies/
Oil is plummeting $XLE $WLL $SLB $USO $OIH $MRO $CLR $EOG $MMP as inventories are up http://www.economiccalendar.com/2017/03/08/eia-reports-crude-oil-stockpiles-rise-8-2-million-barrels-wti-oil-price-rallies/
$HYG continues to fall
- phgruver: @stevef214 $JASO $JKS $USO If you believe in the oil rally, $WLL might be a good play RHRN. Put your stop a bit below 11.
- Motorman: @woodman $HCLP $WLL both report ATC, whats your plan for $HCLP? Seems to have reversed drop from Jan and weekly is in uptrend but it is earnings.
- woodman: @Motorman $HCLP $WLL - It's a coinflip to me. No way to know, so it's a guess. I sold 70% of my HCLP and may sell more. But if you follow me and I am wrong, don't be mad. :-/
- Motorman: @woodman $HCLP $WLL Absolutely not :) this just gives me an idea of how I might manage earnings and opportunity to learn.
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL --- Yes, a coin flip but I think they both will beat.....I sold .....but I will be watching in the AH's ....might be able to get a new position or a trade off for the open...??
- woodman: @champ $HCLP $WLL - I sold a little more. I'm down to 20% of my position. I have no appetite today for holding over earnings. So now we are assured good earnings!
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL --- You know one of the worst trades... I made was selling my full position in $CRR... going into earnings....I was in long term with size and I'm still not happy but I did all right....can't look back just have to move on. I will get back in at some point.
- woodman: @champ $HCLP $WLL $CRR - I've been in a similar situation. So many I sold before earnings that popped and never came back down, and I either never bought back or chased higher and missed a good part of the move. Some actually gave me an opportunity to get back in right after earnings and still I didn't then it ran away. But then there's the other side where it plummets and you're glad not to have held, and you actually do buy it back lower. I know you were high on $CRR as a long term. I hope you get a good opportunity to get it back at a reasonable price.
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL $CRR --- Thanks, maybe I will get a hope trade at some point.
- stairm01: $WLL Not looking good for $WLL after hours with earnings.
- issues: @stairm01 $WLL Not looking good if you own it, but if not it may look real good to buy in the days ahead.
- Motorman: @issues $WLL off 3%, not exactly crashing
- rck89: $WLL Anyone still watching this dog - oop, I mean stock?
- stairm01: @rck89 $WLL Yes, I still hold, but only because I've sold weekly calls many times to help my cost basis. However, they are to a point where they are very low cost.
- TCW23: @rck89 $WLL Closed out of this in the morning.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL I've also been selling calls against my positions, but now the calls aren't worth much. Guess I see what happens in next month. Thanks much for your comment.
- rck89: @TCW23 $WLL Thanks much for your comment.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL Btw, are you letting your weekly $WLL calls expire worthless or rolling them out to later expirations (and/or lower strikes) before expiration?
- stairm01: @rck89 $WLL It depends. When the stock has had a big pull back, I do buy them back if they are under a dime as with Fidelity the commission is free under a dime. I will then roll out, and maybe to a different strike. It depends what the daily candlesticks look like and previous support. Today's candlestick doesn't look good.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL Ok thanks. I did get a partial on an option roll on this dog today. Specifically, rolled $WLL Feb 3, 12.5 calls out to Feb 17, 12 calls, with .29cr. A "crap" premium, but enough to buy lunch if the stock keeps sideways or down, as I expect.
- Hunter1: $WLL - Whiting Petroleum getting some love this morning. Large call buying in this a couple of days ago, plus a pretty large short interest. Just saying....... could be worth watching.
- geotheo: @Hunter1 $WLL I'm watching for $13.4 to be eclipsed. Maybe on 4th excursion it will happen. Then off to the races?
- Geewhiz: @champ $USO #EnergyThoughts #EnergyThoughts Thank you for your energy on these cogent posts. Your "book" (a best seller IMHO) coupled with @Dan's weekend update on oil has me reaching for the buy button. I have Buy/Writes on $SWN, $WLL, $MRO and $MPC all expiring 1/20. I may close them early and purchase $SMLP and $WMB. Thank you for providing impetus to think.
- Robert1965: $WLL anyone add to this, I missed it at the open
- PJMR11: @Robert1965 $WLL I am in at $13 for a 1/2 position
$NFX -- consider $WLL.
- DAN: $USO $RIG $ALJ $WFT $WLL $ATW $MPC -- the oil stocks have gapped up and are holding those gaps (MPC is hanging tough at $53...but not able to break above the $54.40 intraday high). Seems that traders are enthusiastic about oil prices this year.
- rck89: $NFLX $NVDA $WLL - Just back from yet another Holiday lunch to find the following a.m. fills: STO $NFLX Jan 20 120/110 BuPS @ 2.6...small "add" to positions. Hopefully, option decay will start to work in my favor. BTO $NVDA Jan 110 puts @4.db...this was a throw away open order - surprise fill! STO $WLL Jan 13 call @.40...to created a "safe" covered call position - hopefully.
- issues: @champ $CRR $BHI Analyst Mike Brush (web-Brush up on Stocks) suggested $CRR along with $PHII $GILD $NKE $WLL. Not a great list. We will see how his recommendations play out, eh?
- champ: @issues $CRR $BHI $PHII $GILD $NKE $WLL --- Don't know what that means ...not a great list..? On this list... I'm only holding holding $BHI and $CRR. I don't even know who this guy is and maybe you could tell me why I would care...who he is..? You ne ...
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 11.0 CALLS @.04 $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 11.5 CALLS @.03 $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 10.5 CALLS @.05 Closed a week early. Not too much more to be made. $UVXY STO 1/13/16 11.5 CALLS @.44 $NUGT STO 12/30/16 6.5 CALLS @.35 $WLL STO 12/23/16 12.0 CALLS @.40 One week to expiration. Will Cover if necessary and turn this into a Write/Buy.
- stevef214: $WLL stop out for small loss. I was thinking of buying it back but now I think I will add to my $CDEV position. I posted on them before. Oil E&P founded by Mark Papa, former CEO of EOG. They have properties in the Permian which is the least cost area to produce in.
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $NUGT STO 12/23/16 7.0 PUT @.45 $UVXY STO 12/16/16 9.5 CALLS @.51 Kind of an aggressive trade. Devil made me do it. ;>) $NUGT STO 12/23/16 9.0 CALLS @.38 $HNRG STC STOCK @8.65 $CLF BTC 12/16/16 10.0 CALLS @.09 $WLL BTC 12/16/16 12.50 CALLS @.15 That's all she wrote. ;>)
- GOOSE: A TRADE: $WLL STO 12/16/16 12.50 CALLS @.45 Covered
- GOOSE: $WLL #Deviation (Yesterday) @TunaHelper, @SADL, @Rangerrb1, Hey, Thank you guy's for weighing in yesterday. I appreciate your time. GOOSE
- Robert1965: @Forexpro $WLL Thanks for you thoughts
- debeers: $ULTA/$WLB/$NUGT/$PAAS- Big Thank you to DAN and his Chart O'The Day (I renamed it for myself since he's Irish!). Got outof $ULTA pre because it seemed to me that it was going to do the same thing as $WLL. pre-market and thought that if i was wrong, heck, I could always rebuy it! Also a thank you to for those of you who e-mailed me so i would be sure to watch my tush! As things get a little dicey, it seems to me that next week would be a great time to be a material girl: a little $NUGT, and a side of $PAAS will be just the thing to go with your stock wardrobe for the holidays. Love to all- have a great weekend. In case you didn't catch it: JPM shorting $ADM and $TSLA
- coldevinc: @debeers $ULTA $WLB $NUGT $PAAS $WLL $ADM $TSLA On $ULTA Yup. I only made some money because I got in at 106, but it was a nail biter and I was warned................
- PhilHarmonic: $WLL Continues to move up premarket. I've been lucky with these energy stocks.
- GOOSE: A TRADE: Gambling, small, very small ;>) $WLL BTO 12/2/16 13.0 PUT @.45
- GOOSE: A TRADE: Adding a little. $WLL BTO 12/9/16 12.50 PUT @.65 I'm up a little on this trade.
- GOOSE: #Standard Deviation BB's $WLL is at what deviation??? on Worden's FreeStockCharts? Thank you. My chart is messed up right now.
- SADL: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard 3rd standard deviation
- TunaHelper: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard It opened outside the 3rd SD BB, but now is between the 2nd BB and 3rd BB.
- rangerrb1: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard BB. SD. 3rd= 13.00; 2nd=11.82 When $WLL was trading at 12.47
- GOOSE: $WLL Up over 100% on one of my $WLL Long Put trades from this morning.
- champ: #$SPX @ 2.191 down -7.73..-1.36% --- #$COMPX @ -72.57 down 1.36% but the #$DJI is up to 19,192 + $68....really mixed....very dangerous because it's hard to figure out whats going to happen next. Not holding any tech names now sold all days ago...only ...
- mcarew: $WLL bought today at 12.50 @Dan said it "gapped and crapped" what do I look for on the open to hold it? Or do I dump it on the open?
- mcarew: @Forexpro $WLL thanks for your wisdom and guidance!!! I'm new to the group and appreciate it!
Forexpro: @mcarew $WLL
Dan may not make it back to the Forum this evening, so I'll take the liberty of chiming in, if I may. On the hourly chart, linked below, 11.75 was the low on the final bar of the session. The stock closed toward the top of ...
- GOOSE: $WLL @kalmen Looks like you had the better trade on this yesterday. ;>)
- stairm01: $SWN What the heck? Certainly not following other energy stocks. $WLL up 25%, MRO up 20%.
- debeers: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL -trimmed some of my $WLL. No position ever in $SWN.
- cmac: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL SWN more of a nat gas play than oil
- Aragorn: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL Natty is not oil they do their own thing
- kcar21966: @debeers $SWN $WLL I did too...yesterday :(
- GOOSE: TRADES: Yikes! $WLL BTC 12/2/16 9.50 PUTS @.05 $WLL BTC 12/2/16 9.50 CALLS @2.15 $WLL BTC 12/2/16 10.0 CALLS @1.59 Will wait until a more opportune time to roll out. When and if $WLL comes back down in price to where i BTC my options, I will roll out.
- Motorman: @Aragorn $SWN $WLL Thanks
- PhilHarmonic: $WLL I like the chart. Nice rounding bottom. If it breaks above 14 then it could easily move to the mid 20ies. A lot of energy will be used in the coming boom. I'm holding .
- debeers: @PhilHarmonic $WLL --You sassy devil Phil. You peeked!
- stevef214: @cmac $SWN $WLL I agree but crazy thing is that NG is up today.
COTD: $WLL – 38% short. Massive volume on a short squeeze. Pain is not over.
Treasury/Commerce appointments – business friendly, reduced regs, lower taxes, more lending? Higher rates good for banks…not too high, ...
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $JNUG STO 12/16/16 8.50 CALLS Covered $WLL STO 12/2/16 9.50 CALLS @.43 Expires this Friday. The way I look at this trade is, the stock has to go to 10.50 or 8.50, by $WLL STO 12/2/16 9.50 PUTS @.46 Friday for me to lose. An unorthodox trade to say the least, but works for me. I also have 10.0 $WLL Short Calls @.55 expiring Friday.
- stairm01: $WLL Cover call play for this week. $WLL has bounced intra day off of the 8 dma and is at 9.92. This week's 10 strike is selling for 0.55. That's a 6% return plus good down side protection to support of 9.62 from the low on 11/21.
|Stock Price||$USD 41.07|
Whiting Petroleum Corporation is an independent oil and gas company engaged in acquisition, development, exploitation, production and exploration activities mainly in the Permian Basin, Rocky Mountains, Mid-Continent, Gulf Coast and Michigan regions.Request Video of WLL
Already a member? Sign in here.
- October 24th, 2018 - 2018 Q3 Earnings
- $USD 6.61 15.69%
- $USD 8.89 12.44%
- $USD 23.97 4.57%
- $USD 6.05 -35.98%
- $USD 8.09 -31.63%
- $USD 7.69 -20.40%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 58,700 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (58,700) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!