Whiting Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:WLL)
Old Forum Content for WLLMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- champ: $WLL @ $32.50 has now bounce about $11 off of Februarys low entry
- spmeyers: $WLL oil, breaking out on volume
- DAN: @spmeyers $WLL Nice posts, today, spmeyers. Really helpful. Like WLL, and agree that volume is pretty thin in the broader market, making me suspicious of the moves. Thanks. :-)
- champ: @spmeyers $WLL ---- This is a extremely strong move today...and should continue for a #few days. Oil is only down around a $1.20... from the recent high.
$WLL – breakout
$APC – might work.
$TRHC – back at the top of channel. Take some profits on “trades”?
$LIVN – squeezing below $90. Alert $89.50
$BLUE – still holding it? Closer to the botto ...
- champ: $WLL up over 25% ....this is what happens on low earnings exceptions, when they beat.
- geotheo: $WLL $SWN $STO $QEP $NE $NBR $GPOR $ESV $CHK $APA Some Energy stock that haven't run a bunch (a.k.a. laggards) that I'm watching. Most are hanging out just below the 200ma, 50ma, or have multiple bottoms. Most need a little pull back for safer entries. Energy working. Maybe these boats will be lifted.
- woodman: $WLL - continues to bounce. Nice candles today (so far) and prior two days.
- champ: @woodman $WLL ---- They are saying ...M&A rumors.....but could be true.
- Lou: @champ $WLL - IMO opinion this is not an acquisition candidate. Way too much debt for any company to assume!
- champ: @Lou $WLL ----- They are taking about $HAL....rumors are great for traders but I hand pick....look at the volume and that should tell everyone, that Spec traders are at Work or the stock would be much higher...for that reason I have NP.....and I agree....but you never know.
- woodman: @champ @Lou - $WLL $HAL - I just trade the charts and patterns. :-)
- woodman: @cmac $SLCA - I added on the spike as well. Also added to $WLL.
- woodman: @tigerjohn8 $FMSA - You could add on pullbacks to short term moving averages (e.g. 5 or 8dEMAs). Also, stagger those kinds of adds with another ticker or two in the sand/oil patch. The entire sector is on the move and many charts look the same. I bought $WLL today, to go with my sand stocks $FMSA and $SLCA.
- woodman: $WLL doing well today.
- Thebigshort: @champ $PXD $FANG $EOG $PDCE $CXO $XEC $wll. What do you think of wll. Used to be a favorite in the forum.
- Thebigshort: $wll. @dan. Hi Dan I noticed that wll is starting to peek out of the penalty box. I bought 5 calls of the sep 4. For .57. What do you think?
- DAN: @Thebigshort $wll I think it's too soon. Nice move today, but it's still in a downtrend.
- Thebigshort: @DAN $wll .I thought that it was a bullish engulfing candle stick. Where the high was more than the last 2 trading days. I have the sep 4 strike. Where should i put my stop. Thanks.
- tejas7: oil/gas stocks. another leg lower $WLL $EMES $UNG etc
- stairm01: $WLL CC candidate. Looks to be finding a solid bottom as it's consolidated and had a double bottom pattern over the last 3 months. This has weekly options and the Covered Call premium has done me well.
- cmac: $WLL good earnings...looks like a nice double bottom being put in. no position
Oil continues its free fall - $ETE $WLL $MRO $RIG
$IYT - transports also not looking good
Working: $AVGO $OA $ATVI $FB $AMAT $MO $LLY
$ABM - Now starting phase 2 of this vol squeeze
$PNRA - new 52 week high, coming out of high base
$EXPE - bit o ...
- Bridget: Oil is plummeting $XLE $WLL $SLB $USO $OIH. Inventories are up http://www.economiccalendar.com/2017/03/08/eia-reports-crude-oil-stockpiles-rise-8-2-million-barrels-wti-oil-price-rallies/
Oil is plummeting $XLE $WLL $SLB $USO $OIH $MRO $CLR $EOG $MMP as inventories are up http://www.economiccalendar.com/2017/03/08/eia-reports-crude-oil-stockpiles-rise-8-2-million-barrels-wti-oil-price-rallies/
$HYG continues to fall
- phgruver: @stevef214 $JASO $JKS $USO If you believe in the oil rally, $WLL might be a good play RHRN. Put your stop a bit below 11.
- Motorman: @woodman $HCLP $WLL both report ATC, whats your plan for $HCLP? Seems to have reversed drop from Jan and weekly is in uptrend but it is earnings.
- woodman: @Motorman $HCLP $WLL - It's a coinflip to me. No way to know, so it's a guess. I sold 70% of my HCLP and may sell more. But if you follow me and I am wrong, don't be mad. :-/
- Motorman: @woodman $HCLP $WLL Absolutely not :) this just gives me an idea of how I might manage earnings and opportunity to learn.
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL --- Yes, a coin flip but I think they both will beat.....I sold .....but I will be watching in the AH's ....might be able to get a new position or a trade off for the open...??
- woodman: @champ $HCLP $WLL - I sold a little more. I'm down to 20% of my position. I have no appetite today for holding over earnings. So now we are assured good earnings!
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL --- You know one of the worst trades... I made was selling my full position in $CRR... going into earnings....I was in long term with size and I'm still not happy but I did all right....can't look back just have to move on. I will get back in at some point.
- woodman: @champ $HCLP $WLL $CRR - I've been in a similar situation. So many I sold before earnings that popped and never came back down, and I either never bought back or chased higher and missed a good part of the move. Some actually gave me an opportunity to get back in right after earnings and still I didn't then it ran away. But then there's the other side where it plummets and you're glad not to have held, and you actually do buy it back lower. I know you were high on $CRR as a long term. I hope you get a good opportunity to get it back at a reasonable price.
- champ: @woodman $HCLP $WLL $CRR --- Thanks, maybe I will get a hope trade at some point.
- stairm01: $WLL Not looking good for $WLL after hours with earnings.
- issues: @stairm01 $WLL Not looking good if you own it, but if not it may look real good to buy in the days ahead.
- Motorman: @issues $WLL off 3%, not exactly crashing
- rck89: $WLL Anyone still watching this dog - oop, I mean stock?
- stairm01: @rck89 $WLL Yes, I still hold, but only because I've sold weekly calls many times to help my cost basis. However, they are to a point where they are very low cost.
- TCW23: @rck89 $WLL Closed out of this in the morning.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL I've also been selling calls against my positions, but now the calls aren't worth much. Guess I see what happens in next month. Thanks much for your comment.
- rck89: @TCW23 $WLL Thanks much for your comment.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL Btw, are you letting your weekly $WLL calls expire worthless or rolling them out to later expirations (and/or lower strikes) before expiration?
- stairm01: @rck89 $WLL It depends. When the stock has had a big pull back, I do buy them back if they are under a dime as with Fidelity the commission is free under a dime. I will then roll out, and maybe to a different strike. It depends what the daily candlesticks look like and previous support. Today's candlestick doesn't look good.
- rck89: @stairm01 $WLL Ok thanks. I did get a partial on an option roll on this dog today. Specifically, rolled $WLL Feb 3, 12.5 calls out to Feb 17, 12 calls, with .29cr. A "crap" premium, but enough to buy lunch if the stock keeps sideways or down, as I expect.
- Hunter1: $WLL - Whiting Petroleum getting some love this morning. Large call buying in this a couple of days ago, plus a pretty large short interest. Just saying....... could be worth watching.
- geotheo: @Hunter1 $WLL I'm watching for $13.4 to be eclipsed. Maybe on 4th excursion it will happen. Then off to the races?
- Geewhiz: @champ $USO #EnergyThoughts #EnergyThoughts Thank you for your energy on these cogent posts. Your "book" (a best seller IMHO) coupled with @Dan's weekend update on oil has me reaching for the buy button. I have Buy/Writes on $SWN, $WLL, $MRO and $MPC all expiring 1/20. I may close them early and purchase $SMLP and $WMB. Thank you for providing impetus to think.
- Robert1965: $WLL anyone add to this, I missed it at the open
- PJMR11: @Robert1965 $WLL I am in at $13 for a 1/2 position
$NFX -- consider $WLL.
- DAN: $USO $RIG $ALJ $WFT $WLL $ATW $MPC -- the oil stocks have gapped up and are holding those gaps (MPC is hanging tough at $53...but not able to break above the $54.40 intraday high). Seems that traders are enthusiastic about oil prices this year.
- rck89: $NFLX $NVDA $WLL - Just back from yet another Holiday lunch to find the following a.m. fills: STO $NFLX Jan 20 120/110 BuPS @ 2.6...small "add" to positions. Hopefully, option decay will start to work in my favor. BTO $NVDA Jan 110 puts @4.db...this was a throw away open order - surprise fill! STO $WLL Jan 13 call @.40...to created a "safe" covered call position - hopefully.
- issues: @champ $CRR $BHI Analyst Mike Brush (web-Brush up on Stocks) suggested $CRR along with $PHII $GILD $NKE $WLL. Not a great list. We will see how his recommendations play out, eh?
- champ: @issues $CRR $BHI $PHII $GILD $NKE $WLL --- Don't know what that means ...not a great list..? On this list... I'm only holding holding $BHI and $CRR. I don't even know who this guy is and maybe you could tell me why I would care...who he is..? You ne ...
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 11.0 CALLS @.04 $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 11.5 CALLS @.03 $UVXY BTC 12/23/16 10.5 CALLS @.05 Closed a week early. Not too much more to be made. $UVXY STO 1/13/16 11.5 CALLS @.44 $NUGT STO 12/30/16 6.5 CALLS @.35 $WLL STO 12/23/16 12.0 CALLS @.40 One week to expiration. Will Cover if necessary and turn this into a Write/Buy.
- stevef214: $WLL stop out for small loss. I was thinking of buying it back but now I think I will add to my $CDEV position. I posted on them before. Oil E&P founded by Mark Papa, former CEO of EOG. They have properties in the Permian which is the least cost area to produce in.
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $NUGT STO 12/23/16 7.0 PUT @.45 $UVXY STO 12/16/16 9.5 CALLS @.51 Kind of an aggressive trade. Devil made me do it. ;>) $NUGT STO 12/23/16 9.0 CALLS @.38 $HNRG STC STOCK @8.65 $CLF BTC 12/16/16 10.0 CALLS @.09 $WLL BTC 12/16/16 12.50 CALLS @.15 That's all she wrote. ;>)
- GOOSE: A TRADE: $WLL STO 12/16/16 12.50 CALLS @.45 Covered
- GOOSE: $WLL #Deviation (Yesterday) @TunaHelper, @SADL, @Rangerrb1, Hey, Thank you guy's for weighing in yesterday. I appreciate your time. GOOSE
- Robert1965: @Forexpro $WLL Thanks for you thoughts
- debeers: $ULTA/$WLB/$NUGT/$PAAS- Big Thank you to DAN and his Chart O'The Day (I renamed it for myself since he's Irish!). Got outof $ULTA pre because it seemed to me that it was going to do the same thing as $WLL. pre-market and thought that if i was wrong, heck, I could always rebuy it! Also a thank you to for those of you who e-mailed me so i would be sure to watch my tush! As things get a little dicey, it seems to me that next week would be a great time to be a material girl: a little $NUGT, and a side of $PAAS will be just the thing to go with your stock wardrobe for the holidays. Love to all- have a great weekend. In case you didn't catch it: JPM shorting $ADM and $TSLA
- coldevinc: @debeers $ULTA $WLB $NUGT $PAAS $WLL $ADM $TSLA On $ULTA Yup. I only made some money because I got in at 106, but it was a nail biter and I was warned................
- PhilHarmonic: $WLL Continues to move up premarket. I've been lucky with these energy stocks.
- GOOSE: A TRADE: Gambling, small, very small ;>) $WLL BTO 12/2/16 13.0 PUT @.45
- GOOSE: A TRADE: Adding a little. $WLL BTO 12/9/16 12.50 PUT @.65 I'm up a little on this trade.
- GOOSE: #Standard Deviation BB's $WLL is at what deviation??? on Worden's FreeStockCharts? Thank you. My chart is messed up right now.
- SADL: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard 3rd standard deviation
- TunaHelper: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard It opened outside the 3rd SD BB, but now is between the 2nd BB and 3rd BB.
- rangerrb1: @GOOSE $WLL #Standard BB. SD. 3rd= 13.00; 2nd=11.82 When $WLL was trading at 12.47
- GOOSE: $WLL Up over 100% on one of my $WLL Long Put trades from this morning.
- champ: #$SPX @ 2.191 down -7.73..-1.36% --- #$COMPX @ -72.57 down 1.36% but the #$DJI is up to 19,192 + $68....really mixed....very dangerous because it's hard to figure out whats going to happen next. Not holding any tech names now sold all days ago...only ...
- mcarew: $WLL bought today at 12.50 @Dan said it "gapped and crapped" what do I look for on the open to hold it? Or do I dump it on the open?
- mcarew: @Forexpro $WLL thanks for your wisdom and guidance!!! I'm new to the group and appreciate it!
Forexpro: @mcarew $WLL
Dan may not make it back to the Forum this evening, so I'll take the liberty of chiming in, if I may. On the hourly chart, linked below, 11.75 was the low on the final bar of the session. The stock closed toward the top of ...
- GOOSE: $WLL @kalmen Looks like you had the better trade on this yesterday. ;>)
- stairm01: $SWN What the heck? Certainly not following other energy stocks. $WLL up 25%, MRO up 20%.
- debeers: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL -trimmed some of my $WLL. No position ever in $SWN.
- cmac: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL SWN more of a nat gas play than oil
- Aragorn: @stairm01 $SWN $WLL Natty is not oil they do their own thing
- kcar21966: @debeers $SWN $WLL I did too...yesterday :(
- GOOSE: TRADES: Yikes! $WLL BTC 12/2/16 9.50 PUTS @.05 $WLL BTC 12/2/16 9.50 CALLS @2.15 $WLL BTC 12/2/16 10.0 CALLS @1.59 Will wait until a more opportune time to roll out. When and if $WLL comes back down in price to where i BTC my options, I will roll out.
- Motorman: @Aragorn $SWN $WLL Thanks
- PhilHarmonic: $WLL I like the chart. Nice rounding bottom. If it breaks above 14 then it could easily move to the mid 20ies. A lot of energy will be used in the coming boom. I'm holding .
- debeers: @PhilHarmonic $WLL --You sassy devil Phil. You peeked!
- stevef214: @cmac $SWN $WLL I agree but crazy thing is that NG is up today.
COTD: $WLL – 38% short. Massive volume on a short squeeze. Pain is not over.
Treasury/Commerce appointments – business friendly, reduced regs, lower taxes, more lending? Higher rates good for banks…not too high, ...
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $JNUG STO 12/16/16 8.50 CALLS Covered $WLL STO 12/2/16 9.50 CALLS @.43 Expires this Friday. The way I look at this trade is, the stock has to go to 10.50 or 8.50, by $WLL STO 12/2/16 9.50 PUTS @.46 Friday for me to lose. An unorthodox trade to say the least, but works for me. I also have 10.0 $WLL Short Calls @.55 expiring Friday.
- stairm01: $WLL Cover call play for this week. $WLL has bounced intra day off of the 8 dma and is at 9.92. This week's 10 strike is selling for 0.55. That's a 6% return plus good down side protection to support of 9.62 from the low on 11/21.
- GOOSE: A TRADE: THANKS to stairm01 for this. $WLL STO 12/2/16 10.0 CALLS @.55 Will cover with stock if needed. ;>)
- Bridget: $WLL has now broken through $10 and moving higher.
- Bridget: $WLL is now moving higher and above $9.
- GaVaHokie: @Bridget $WLL Kind of looks like an $XOP kind of day.
- Sher: $WLL - BTO Jan. $9.00 calls, earlier today - Squeeze resolving to the upside as momentum and money flow increase - Up 5% today.
- champ: @Sher $WLL - Remember we have Oil # out today in the AH's....we will get the API data and in the morning the crude oil EIA #'s at 10:30 ET and then on Thursday we will get the EIA N-Gas #'s......all of these #'s will move the markets. It's all about OPEC today....some are hoping that they will freeze production on the meeting on 11/30 in Vienna, Austria.
- Sher: @champ $WLL - Thanks Champ - I didn't think this trade was a 'nailbiter' when I first put it on... shoot! Vol. at that strike is 4084 against 3766 OI - Hopefully, that's a good sign.
- champ: @Sher $WLL- I have many energy names and I'm holding all at this point. I like $WLL. LOL
- Motorman: @jeffslm $wll
- GOOSE: SOME TRADES: $NEWT STC STOCK @14.56 $WLL STC STOCK @9.25 $NUGT BTO STOCK @12.45 $NUGT STO 11/4/16 13.00 CALL @.65 A buy/write
- FHS: $XOP $WLL Quite a spike on the 5 min. chart. Anybody know why? Cheers.
|Stock Price||$USD 50.67|
Whiting Petroleum Corporation is an independent oil and gas company engaged in acquisition, development, exploitation, production and exploration activities mainly in the Permian Basin, Rocky Mountains, Mid-Continent, Gulf Coast and Michigan regions.Request Video of WLL
Already a member? Sign in here.
- July 25th, 2018 - 2018 Q2 Earnings
- $USD 5.74 21.06%
- $USD 16.82 17.00%
- $USD 5.27 13.16%
- $USD 10.25 -24.91%
- $USD 11.93 -23.63%
- $USD 8.90 -21.00%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 56,100 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (56,100) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!