Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C)
Old Forum Content for CMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- Henry: $ROKU $C raised the pt from $28 to $33 How do these analysts collect a pay check with a straight face? CEO is coming on CNBC after the break
- champ: $JPM $C ---- Nice move on both this morning and they are leading the banking sector higher....the % leaders.
- Forexpro: Re: Large Banks Hi, Friends, Updating to reflect performance of the largest banks since the end of last year. $BAC, $JPM and $PNC are outperforming the sector ETF, $KBE. Not to mention, they're outperforming the $SPY, as are $C, $GS, and $USB. Lower hurdle. $WFC, despite its heroics over the past couple of weeks - even with today's decline, it's 8.9 percent above its 54.72 low on Feb 9 - continues to reside in negative return country for 2018. Underperformance versus $KBE is 7.74 percent, year to date. $PNC remains my fave in this group. All the best!
- jr3345: @champ $WFC $WFCPrJ $BAC I believe your analysis to be correct. However, my Aunt was one who had accounts opened w/o her knowledge. Took a while to make things right. Can't invest with $WFC. However I do have a stock position with JPM & long leap 75 calls with $C.
- champ: @jr3345 $WFC $WFCPrJ $BAC $C --- Thanks, for the reply and I understand but thats my point and the reason why the stock dropped because of what happened to your Aunt, 17 months ago and many others...that is why the stock.. is the largest lagger but t ...
- champ: $WFC @ $58 --- #News ----This bank is now turning off the recent low of $54.72, that was on Friday 2/9. Many are saying that on 2/9 the markets might have also turned off of that low. @Forexpro and I both had post on this stock on 2/5, take a look. I ...
- dcphinney: @champ $WFC $C #News #Reuters #Analyst #new #news #Charles #A #Strongly #StockTiming #MarketTiming #StrongBuy #LowRiskEntry #Smart #New #new #new #OK Agreed.
- champ: $DK ....this refiner is moving up now off the low, on a new upgrade by $C
- baronp0329: @champ $DK $C - Interesting. I've never traded DK, just $MPC $VLO. Will have to do some research on DK. In fact, added to $MPC yesterday (now full position). Also started new positions in $PXD (174.50) and $CRC (18.42) this morning.
- champ: @baronp0329 $DK $C $MPC $VLO $PXD $CRC ---- $DK has dropped from the high because of the markets....you will be surprised when you do the research
- champ: $WFC is the % leader again today...if you compare against $BAC $JPM $MS $C and others but $ZION was the clear winner and $SIVB is in second place but their could be others....ETF's ...$FAS was up 5.29% and $KBE and $KRE were up about the same at around 2.85%....on the close.
- champ: @Forexpro $WFC $BAC $JPM $C #Political --- I posted to you his bio when he was picked. I respect your opinion but you were wrong last time you posted this same info on $WFC before, its all about entry timing. You can see on that last move that the ba ...
- champ: @Forexpro $WFC $BAC $JPM $C #Political --- Remember...I posted to you that he is also a CPA. It has been stated, that they will be removing restrictions before the end of the year or sooner, this is what was reported but maybe I'm wrong but this is w ...
Forexpro: @champ $WFC $BAC #Political
Mr. Munger is free to wish for whatever he wants; it was Chair Powell who led the Fed team that negotiated the restrictions on $WFC, and I wouldn't be inclined to count on him removing them any time soon. ...
- champ: @Forexpro $WFC $BAC $JPM $C #Political --- Thanks for the reply and Yes, that all true and I understand.... but I don't understand why are you are saying... ask his investors to remain calm and all is well, don't know where all of that is coming from ...
I'm inclined to agree that one precipitating factor in the current pullback is the rise in Treasury note and bond yields. Given the little that I know about the budget agreement, I expected to see said notes and bonds lower in price and higher in yi ...
- Lou: @mopick $NRE - wish I could tell you something new. I've got a very long term horizon and I expect at least 40% up from current levels within the next year. I am able to wait it out and collect a decent distribution while I wait. Good luck and I understand your concerns but I'm staying the course. My best ideas continue to be $ETE and $ETP with a decent buying opportunity RHRN. Scary time do give us opportunities. I'm getting clobbered in profitable ST positions in $MSFT and $FLR as well as $BAC and $C. Thinking of protesting profits but leaving for a medical appointment so will look again later in afternoon. GL all,
- mopick: @Lou $NRE $ETE $ETP $MSFT $FLR $BAC $C, thanks, Lou! Am with you on $ETP, as I think the worst is behind us on this one. As for $NRE, I'll be watching closely to decipher any signs of stabilization. I've been burned every time previously. Lou, do you know when they report? That certainly should provide a catalyst I would think. Thanks, again!!
- champ: @Forexpro $WFC $BAC $JPM $PNC ---- The reason Analyst are saying that these 2 banks..#1.. $WFC... is because their earnings are just about 100%, in the U.S. and their assets are already at a extremely high level but these new restrictions will end re ...
- Henry: @Alexander $PHM It ran up and it started to go flat, I was low on trading cash in that particular account and I wanted to buy $C
- Henry: @Robert1965 I sold my $PHM 10 days ago to swap into $C. But I think support is pretty close to where we are right now.
- champ: $BAC $C $WFC $JPM $MS $GS....the banks will be going much higher this year because of their customers, they will now have much higher confidence, in the economy going forward. Loan growth will now be climbing at a much faster pace... buying new equip ...
- champ: @DragonFly $UAL @ $77.84 ..HOD ---- It never hurts to sell before earnings....but the reports are that $UAL, is going to beat... just like $DAL did....because the monthly traffic numbers have been climbing, on all the airline stocks. $DAL was the fir ...
- DrScience: $XLF $BAC $C $WFC Something going on in the banks. Stocks moving on volume.
- DragonFly: @DrScience $XLF $BAC $C $WFC good eye , very interesting I almost added yesterday on the sell off and decided against it. : (
- mgoodw: $BLOK Any thoughts on new block chain ETF that hits market today? It contains $Nvda $Sq $Ibm $ostk $C and Taiwan Semiconductor. Also, what effect might it have on the individual stocks ??
- Tony220397: $C , look to trading @new high. Will Dan be adding here.
- traderbren: $C -- closed the gap from this mornings pop.
- eacain: @traderbren $C does that mean you plan on holding off on investing until the breakout continues or is this a good buying point?
- traderbren: @eacain $C - just pointing out that it closed the gap from 1/12 after gaping up this morning. I'm still holding Feb calls, but it may need to rest and move sideways before moving higher. I would like to see it clear $77.77 today to confirm continued interest.
- Robert1965: @champ $FAS what your take, mine is, it is going down after the banks, reported unless $C has good numbers
The attached chart shows what T-note futures thought of the core CPI number. For those who aren't as neurotic as bond traders, it shouldn't be that big a deal as a one-off; 0.3 up vs 0.1 for Nov and expectations of 0.2. Annualized, 1.8 vs expectatio ...
- issues: Is the market a full day on Mon? I see earnings for TU $INFO $C Today I added to $FB on this drop and bought $XNET.
- Forexpro: @issues $C No, Issues, Closed altogether on Monday. My daughters are delighted. ToS shows Jan 16. Hope you're doing well; all the best!
- debeers: @issues $INFO $C ---Martin Luther King Day
- champ: $C @ $76.50 ...climbing into earnings on Tuesdays open 1/16....NP
- champ: @bigbartabs $FAS $KRE ---- My largest position is $KRE and then $FAS.... but I'm holding your ETF.. $TNA... day 6 for me now ..with size. I'm also still holding $ERX and $LABU...for now...these are all trading positions. Traders are nervous about the size of the bank write downs, that the Banks will be announcing because of the Tax Bill....but they are only paper write downs....for example... $BAC earnings... will include a $3 billion $$$$, paper write down as the result of the Tax Act....$C is around 16-17$ b --- GS around $5b --- $MS is $1.25B...these losses are often referred to as....carry over losses. ....however, the focus will be on earnings...... and like $BAC, they will have massive Tax benefits going forward because of the Tax Bill, I think the number was around $19 billion $$$$ but I loss my chart ...
- grcjr: @issues $XLF $C $BAC $GS $JPM $MS $WFC $STT - My trading time frame is generally somewhat short term. Looking at the banks, the attached overly busy chart is a 10 day chart, showing that $STT is the big mover during this time period. $GS is the looser. I may look at a 5 day and a 3 month also. My conclusion is to look for an entry for $STT.
- traderbren: $XLF -- looking good. Like $C, and I think $GS could get going here. Also the move in $JPM and $RF.
According to TheFlyontheWall, $C had nice things to say about the two largest trust banks:
"State Street (STT) and BNY Mellon (BK) upgraded to Buy from Neutral at Citi, with analyst Keith Horowitz saying he thinks the trust banks are the best ...
- champ: $UAL @ $72.94 up 6.5% HOD ---- Day- 1 ----- I posted earlier on this sector break-out about 45 days ago but on my post this morning, I did not point out that $C upgraded this stock this morning to a Buy and Stifle upgraded this stock with a target of.... $130.... that about $50 higher from this level. $UAL reported #Strong traffic number this morning. Earnings are on 1/23/confirmed....this is Day 1 of the start of this earnings run.
- bRobert: @champ $UAL $C #Strong the charts don't lie. The sector put in a weekly double bottom in Nov and ran up. Weekly flag waiting for a match to set off. UAL has been on a nonstop flight . This was not mom and pop buying. This was an easy trade to see and follow if you stepped back. That's why I disagreed with the notion that airlines were doing nothing and you didn't want to be there. Same with the trucks, trains, and automobiles. More than just FDX UPS. IYT had a strong weekly breakout in DEC . This is a broad, very strong rally
- Lou: Today was a day to press profitable stock and short put positions by adding short $CVS $C $BAC $LVS and $MS puts. Also added a bit to $NRE long position at around 12.65 (IMO this dog will bark when it reports).
- champ: $WFC @ $62.50 ----- On the move again...a lot of UpGrades going into earnings, on 1/12 ...I'm following the $$$ with a oversize position ....and I'm also still holding $C ER 1/16 and $BAC 1/17.
- bRobert: $C Sale over . bounce off 50d Long 2019 leap calls
- champ: $BAC $30 ---- This fell back from HOD this morning, so I added, to my trading position, going into earnings, I'm looking at $32, after earnings and maybe $31 or higher before but the markets have to hang in.....and I'm also holding $C $WFC and $FAS....the first large banks...to report earnings, will be $JPM and $WFC on 1/12...could be others.
- grcjr: $KBH Cut from Neutral to Sell by $C .... significant gains so I'm trimming.
COTD: $MRVL – deathly strong chart. But it looks like SMH, which is still just treading water. Fundamentals aren’t as good as you might think. EPS rating is 79, and their sales are flat to negative. Growth rate is -7%. BUT... it do ...
- Samik: @DAN $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Thank you for studying them. Saw the advice in @Rachels note. This is what I take out of it. Let me know if my understanding is right. Requests: 1. $BABA – Needing to build more base between $165-$190. Strong with China stocks. ---------- Hold on to what I have 2. $SINA – same. -------------------------------- Hold on to what I have 3. $MOMO – No mo. -------------------------- Consider selling them off 4. $C – Mature uptrend. Not interesting to me...but tracking 50-day MA -------------------- Take profits & sell off. Redeploy in better stocks 5. $SEDG – How much more do you want? Needs a big rest here. ----------------------- Take profits & sell. 6. $CRC –extended. ------------------------------- Take profits & sell 7. $CC – buyable at $55ish. ------------------- Hold on to what I have. Add more @ $55.
- Samik: @DAN $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Tx a ton. Just went thru the video of your strategy session of yesterday & noticed that you covered all of them. Appreciate. Am already in execution mode as per your advice. Tx for suggesting to buy them in time & sell them in time with good profits. cheers :)
- bRobert: $C lower risk entry for long term hold.
- Samik: @DAN Wishing you & your family & all in the forum a very happy new year. Desired to have your views (add more / sell) on some of the stocks in my portfolio. $BABA (+7.5% profit), $MOMO (-17.5% loss), $C ( 15% profit), $SEDG ( 21% profit), $CRC ( 35% profit), $CC ( 13% profit), $SINA (17% profit), $AAPL ( 75% profit).
- bRobert: @Samik $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Many of these are premier holding stocks. Look at the weekly chart of BABA. This is not a flash in the pan. Are you a trader ? Do you like holding stocks for extended periods of time for superior price appreciation? BABA just getting started.
- DAN: @Samik $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Hi Samik. Happy new year to you and your family! I'll look at these tonight.
- Samik: @bRobert $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Yes I like holding stocks for extended periods of time for superior price appreciation. Am a long time trader but it does not mean that I will hold to a stock giving 10% profit today instead of selling that & buying something that can give me 25%. Hence put the profit & loss status of these stocks in my portfolio.
- Samik: @DAN $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL Thank you Dan. Will look fwd to hearing from you. Appreciate.
- michaelH: @DAN $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL You can add $TCEHY to the list
- bRobert: @Samik $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL I got a return of over 500% on BABA last year holding leap calls. Not trading the squiggles. Again, depends upon your time frame.
- CHOFF: @bRobert $BABA $MOMO $C $SEDG $CRC $CC $SINA $AAPL - how long was the term of your leap contract and how many times did you roll it?
COTD: $WUBA – up 14% since added to GSL. High volume on 6.6% move today. Watch for re-test of $80. All time high was $83.71
$SPX – Ideal to be in the stocks that are participating today. New money is coming in. Where you want to be.
- Forexpro: Re: $GS, Banks Good Morning, Friends, I'm not sure what impact this will have on other names in the sector, but it does suggest that the tax package may offer some surprises as the language gets parsed. We do know (that is, I think we know) that companies such as $C with large tax loss carry-forwards will be marking those down, as they're worth less in a lower tax environment. From the WSJ: "Goldman Sachs estimates the new tax legislation could reduce its fourth-quarter earnings by about $5 billion, mainly due to the newly enacted repatriation tax for cash and assets held overseas. "The disclosure, in a regulatory filing, means the bank could post a steep loss for the quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected fourth-quarter earnings of $2.08 billion." All the best!
- sierramp: @Forexpro $GS $C Thank you for this.
- champ: @bRobert $XPO #News....$C has their new target at $110 from $80 ...yesterday. Who is at $125...??
- champ: $JPM $WFC $PNC ---- These are the first of the banks, that will be reporting earnings on 1/12 ...I'm only holding positions in $C, they report on 1/16 and $BAC on 1/17...I believe all the banks will have earnings runs,...all...is my guess....because the economy is really strong and interest rates have really move up.. off the lows, that was in September...take a look at the 10 year $TNX chart and you will see this great move, that rates had....for this main reason and their are many other reasons, all banks will beat on earnings but $BAC and $C, really have the most to gain, IMO. Housing, Auto's and interest Rates, really come into play because they have the largest Loan Portfolios, these are a few of the main drivers on earnings, on both of these banks and others.
- champ: @Forexpro ---- #Bank price targets....according to that analyst...Mike Mayo's price target list it looks like $C has the most to gain according to his price targets and he is one of the best analyst, in the banking sector. Very helpful post yesterday, I just want to say....Thanks!
- Forexpro: @champ $C #Bank You're Very Welcome, Champ, Mr. Mayo can, in my experience, be abrasive and sometimes wrong, but he is also thoughtful and well informed. Unusually for sell side names he calls 'em like he sees 'em. I think that there is a more than accidental correlation between that character trait and his unusually lengthy job history. Best wishes to you for a wonderful holiday season. Cheers!
- Robert1965: @champ $JPM $WFC $PNC $C $BAC $TNX Have you added to $C in the last 2 weeks
- champ: $BAC and $C....HOD
Lou: Hot off the press, just posted on Oppenheimer website is Ari Wald's Top Ideas for 2018 technical report. He's high on Financials and Transports for 2018.
Here's his summary:
Ahead of our 10 Big Numbers for 2018 macro outlook that we plan to
- steve71: @DrScience $MSFT Microsoft is one with huge overseas cash, waiting for the tax bill to be signed. Others are $AAPL $GOOG $ORCL $C $JPM Maybe the "repatriation trade" is coming to fruition.
- Suz: @steve71 $MSFT $AAPL $GOOG $ORCL $C $JPM $C should get hit on the move back to the USA as well as AIG as they both have substantial profits stored offshore that they will have to pay taxes on. $C was #1 on the list of stocks who could get hurt on the repatriation.
- steve71: @Suz $MSFT $AAPL $GOOG $ORCL $C $JPM #1 Right, $C def on the list. Barron's had a slightly different angle a few weeks ago. They mentioned $HPE $GILD $TDC $HPQ as repatriation plays. Their absolute $ overseas were not as high. But the amount of overseas funds is the highest % of each company's market cap. I'm sure an English major could have said that more clearly.
- Tony220397: @Suz $MSFT $AAPL $GOOG $ORCL $C $JPM #1$citi, their bad assets over sea now worth less now!
- michaelH: @Suz $MSFT $AAPL $GOOG $ORCL $C $JPM #1 re $C but who's to say they repatriate?
- champ: $BAC ---- The $TNX 10-year Interest rate dropped today and took the banks down, with it and Gold bounced. Sold these positions yesterday $GS, $C and $BAC this morning at $29.30. I posted yesterday, that the sector could get a little selling...so I took profits.
- bRobert: $C Same setup as BAC. Target $85 . Trigger >77 . Long 2019 Leap calls
- issues: @bRobert $C which do you like better $BAC $C or ? for an add or new buy?
- bRobert: @issues $C $BAC C is the cheapest price to book. Well capitalized and is doing 33% buy back. One bank......this one. I'm long JAN 2019 LEAPS. Very profitable. Will continue to add. This will be a $100 stock faster than many think.
- Ernest: @bRobert $C Robert, first, thanks' for all your posts. I read most, and find them very helpful. I have a quick question, how do you figure the target prices ? I've been trying to figure it out using the daily charts, but I am not sure I get it.
- bRobert: @Ernest $C Usually calculating targets from measured moves of classic chart patterns using the daily/weekly charts. Often there are several patterns in play in the best stocks. the best stocks complete most of the setups. The chart pattern is used as an estimate. It doesn't entitle you to make money and still necessitates good risk management. Failed patterns are helpful too since they often lead to an aggressive counter move. C . has a weekly cup/h targeting $87. High base daily targeting $83+
- bRobert: @issues $C $BAC You can buy the XLF and have a bit more safety in numbers
- Forexpro: Re: $JPM, $C Hi, Friends, SeekingAlpha reports that $JPM and $C will not participate in clearing Bitcoin futures contracts, although $GS says that it will, for some customers. I think that's a prudent decision; even with initial margin set at 35 percent, clearing firms are too exposed to major losses, or so it seems to me, with little in the way of rewards. Here's hoping that your day is going well; all the best!
- champ: $GS....I'm holding a large Spec Day trade position...in this stock, this morning and I will be swinging $BAC $C and this dog $WFC.
- champ: $BAC $C and my Spec $WFC ---- Many sold bank stocks going into the Vote. I sold 3/4th of my Spec Day trade on $GS but I'm swinging my other bank positions.
- champ: @Robert1965 @SusanW ---- $C...$BAC $JPM ---- I really like the banks but everything is moving really fast....I will like them better, after I see how, the vote turns out tomorrow....I don't know... if I should add or not....hard to say. I'm watching $C RHRN.
- champ: $BAC $WFC ----- $C New position this morning.....all banks are still climbing. Now I'm holding all 3 banks.
- DrScience: $XLF $BAC $JPM $C Banks liking what the Fed's Jerome Powell had to say at this morning's Senate Banking Committee hearing.
- MtChet: @DrScience $XLF $BAC $JPM $C - I can't believe nobody else is talking about the banks. Long $JPM and $C
- champ: @MtChet $XLF $BAC $JPM $C ---- I had a post that banks are pushing the markets higher today and this is a #BreakOut, for the sector....holding large positions and posted $BAC and I even had a post on $WFC.
- Bridget: Notes: Lots of breakout today from squeezes: $DIA $GLW $BAX $AFL $CHRW $MCD $LEA $UNH $PII $FAST $XRT - lots of retail stocks that have been beaten down are showing some strength $M $ANF $TJX $BBY $THO $WGO - up big after earnings Banking stocks rallying today $XLF $KBE $BAC $C $SCHW $ETFC $AMTD Also credit cards - $V $MA $AXP Tech is a mixed bag $AMD $NVDA $ADI - pulling back $MSFT $NFLX - about to breakout Aeospace & Defense up today $HON $BA $LLL Shorting $ALRM $BSX $MOMO
- SusanW: $C I am wondering if C is at a good buy point today.
Forexpro: @SusanW $C
There are never any guarantees, but on the slightly different chart setup that I use as my default, yes, $C looks buyable. The only pending negative news that I'm aware of concerns Europe; according to the Financial Times ov ...
- champ: @SusanW $C --- I really like $C but NP, at this point. Its 50/50....everything is all about next week....its only a guess, until the markets get the news but on positive news, Banks are going to have a major move higher. Be aware...traders/gamblers are at work today and could be all week and even on the 1/2 day, on Friday. I want to take new positions and I'm holding back and its hard to hold back but day a swing trades might work and I'm trading a few. ... and I should point out that.... I'm holding my position in $BAC into the news and it might be alright to take a new small position but its all about risk and the risk part is up to you and the size of any new position would be important.
- champ: $DJI ---- #MarketTiming ----- #StockEntryTiming ---- #SectorTiming ---- #MarketRisk ---- Just posting a little info on timing, that will help improve profits on New Positions. #1 Market Timing...is always important before you invest in the markets, y ...
- dpugh: $JPM I got in this and then sold a bit ago. Watching $C too... does anyone think this might be a smoke is clear back to the upside for these banks?
- champ: @dpugh $JPM $C ----- Look at their earnings power and who is the % leader over the last few quarters and years and which one will have the most too gain, stock wise. On $BAC, they payed out the most, on fines...over $60 billion $$$$, hard to believe ...
- grcjr: $BAC $C $GS $JPM $MS $WFC - all down today. All still in their channel. Not seeing any news.
- champ: @grcjr $BAC $C $GS $JPM $MS $WFC ---- Markets are dropping a little and Interest rates are dropping a little but not much, the 10-year is only down -0.39%...some are taking profits....the odds are now 92%, that they will raise interest rates.
- grcjr: @champ $BAC $C $GS $JPM $MS $WFC - interest rates should help. Should also be already baked in. Thanks.
- champ: @grcjr $BAC $C $GS $JPM $MS $WFC ---- Yes, your right its baked in, that #Why they are dropping.
|Stock Price||$USD 68.91|
Citigroup Inc is a financial services holding company. It provides financial products and services, including consumer banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage and wealth management.Request Video of C
Already a member? Sign in here.
- July 13th, 2018 - 2018 Q2 Earnings
- $USD 6.89 86.63%
- $USD 319.45 21.03%
- $USD 49.95 12.96%
- $USD 18.05 -40.86%
- $USD 44.08 -33.55%
- $USD 16.10 -31.86%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 55,700 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (55,700) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!