Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C)
Old Forum Content for CMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- Robert1965: @champ $C Are you still holding this after earnings, adding to it
- champ: @Robert1965 $C ----- Not at this time....
- Lou: Added a little to $DVAX on pullback - now full position but don't expect real pop for a few months. Patience is required as timetables seem to have moved. See SeekingAlpo report regarding conference call yesterday with MS. Added $MS and $C short puts (to many now OTM) in an effort to build LT position at lower prices. Will continue to sell puts as others expire until someone will put shares to me at a price I like.
- woodman: @Lou $DVAX $MS $C - I'm thinking the PDUFA will be soon, and before the "delayed until 11/10/17" date.
- Forexpro: Re: $C Hi, Friends, Pretty aggressive move form SocGen analyst Andrew Lim, who drops $C from "Hold" to "Sell". According to SeekingAlpha, his primary concerns are increasing loan loss provisions on the credit card front, and a flattening trend in net interest margin. I'm not sure that $C's experience is so radically different from its competitors that it warrants a "Sell". In fact, the stock has retreated sufficiently far to begin to look attractive to me, and I may sell a put or two here, just for kicks. Take care, and all the best! P.S. Did go net long via a bull put spread. Got a fill instantly, never a good sign, but we'll see how it goes.
Forexpro: Re: $BAC, $WFC, $JPM
Good Morning, Friends,
As always, there is plenty of detail in the $BAC earnings report, and I won't burden you. In a nutshell, there is something that makes $BAC stand out, in my view. It isn't particularly well run, and it do ...
- Robert1965: $C anyone buying below $71
- bRobert: @Robert1965 $C In scales. Very long timeframe. 2019 . leap calls
- Forexpro: @Robert1965 $C Hi, Robert1965, This is a large, complex beast. As I look at the daily chart, something close to 70 would offer a decent ratio of potential reward to risk. Normally, if I'm looking to buy into a decline, I like to see stochastics in oversold territory, and $C isn't there, as yet. FWIW; best of luck, whatever you decide.
- bRobert: @Forexpro $C Understood. Buying in with scales call spreads. 2019.
- bRobert: $C Filled gap target as expected
- RoIbis1: @bRobert $C Nice call as per your previous chart read. Where would you look to add on daily chart? Thanks for your posts
- bRobert: $C Long tail hammer after gap fill
- champ: $BAC @ $25.75 ---- Looks like they beat on all lines, overall looks good ...I might have missed a line or 2 , but this a great earnings report. The one negative is that they only make $3.5 billion $$$ on their trading account, thats down 15% YoY it was $3.92b, all the BS is wow down 15%, I guess I should feel sorry for the bank, but I don't....they had great trading results....and the way that I can tell and judge these results, is by looking at the others that have reported and they beat those banks. I'm still holding my full core position and I will add back my trading position before the next earnings report and sell 3 days before because that has been the trend. This is still my top pick in the sector and I also like $C but I took profits on those positions.
- grcjr: $C $JPM both beat. Up in premarket.
- grcjr: @grcjr $C $JPM - so much for good earnings as both made a dash below yesterday's close.
- bRobert: $C imho healthy pullback in C . This has doubled since last year. Great weekly. This will lead to a better entry, sustained long term price appreciation. POSSIBLE gap fill around $71
- grcjr: $C $JPM earnings before tomorrow's open. I'm leaning toward trimming or closing what I have left. Thoughts? Seems quite a bit of the commentary has been to cover "issues".
- bwcarnation1: @grcjr $C $JPM I'm holding $C and don't know what to do....maybe sell 1/2? fwiw IMF identified 9 banks that may have trouble remaining profitable and $C is one of them.
- grcjr: @bwcarnation1 $C $JPM - I'm down to 1/4 positions in $C and $JPM Calls. Still have a long term $JPM stock. I can argue both sides of the "what to expect" discussion. Coin toss. In any case they should give a hint for the others.
- bwcarnation1: @grcjr $C $JPM I did the same $C sold 3/4...good luck
- grcjr: Bank Earnings and more. 10/12 $C $JPM before open 10/13 $WFC $BAC before 10/16 $NFLX after 10/17 $MS $GS $UNH before 10/18 $AXP after 10/19 $WGO before, $ISRG after 10/23 $STT before 10/26 $INTC after Hope I have those all correct.
- champ: $BAC $C $MS $GS $JPM ---- Looks like $BAC is still OutPerforming all the other large banks and really all banks, after a fast look but I might have missed a couple. I posted in order as they have performed over the last 52 weeks and $BAC has beat $C, ...
- Samik: @Dan What is your take on $C. It seems to be showing a steady climb. Good to invest ? $ROKU seems to be showing an attempt to climb back up. Also, should I sell off $CC (43% profit), $WB (20% profit), $AAPL ($56% profit). Had sold 1/2 of these 3 a few months ago based on your recommendation of taking some profits off the table. Tx
- grcjr: $C $MS $BAC $STT - banks setting new 52+ week highs. $GS set new 26 week high.
Forexpro: @grcjr $C $MS $BAC $STT $GS
I was admiring the daily chart of $STT earlier today, and wishing that I still received restricted shares on a regular basis. I also looked at the direct competitors, and the $KBE large bank ETF, since th ...
- grcjr: @Forexpro $C $MS $BAC $STT $GS $KBE $BK $NTRS $JPM I've owned some $STT in the past. I still check it but wish I had jumped back in. Best to you.
- bRobert: $BAC . $C BAC weekly range breakout target $28 . C . Target $87+ . Long C . 2019 . 90 calls
- Bridget: $JPM and $C both at the high of the day
- bRobert: $C Weekly target is $90+. Not in a straight line. Huge call volume Jan 2019 $100 strike. Long leap calls
- tejas7: @mopick $BAC $C
- DAN: $C -- continuing the uptrend. Financials are doing better with the possibility of higher rates via rate hike, or balance sheet reduction.
- steve71: $XLF $C $HIG $PYPL Nice day in the neighborhood. All in. Totus porcus.
- champ: $YUMC @ $39.50 ---- Yum brands #China.....nice Upgrade yesterday 9/18 by $C, with a target of $51.00....KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and East Drawing is a Chinese food, QSR brand these brands and #Others and their are other bands....7,500 restaurants in China and they like this type of food. This stock is going higher and has been on the move, with nice volume...take a look. I have a Hold and be Rewarded position.
- steve71: $AAPL $GE $MSFT $CSCO $C $JPM $GOOG $ORCL $PFE This is a list of the companies which have the most money offshore. Or, these are the companies which should benefit most from proposed corporate tax cuts/repatriation. If the GOP tax plan starts to look real, we should see all of these tickers move. My only positions are Citi and Microsoft.
- bRobert: $C nh breakout
Forexpro: Re: $MS, Bulge Bracket Banks
Good Morning, Friends,
From SeekingAlpha, just as a background datum:
"Tweaking her models following management comments at investor conferences over the past couple of weeks, Morgan Stanley's Betsy Graseck sees t ...
- bRobert: $c ADDED TO ccLEAP CALLS ON BREAKOUT
- haroldzero: @Dan $C Hi Dan, from you point of view, is C considered a breakout from a long base? Is it a good buying opp. today? Thanks Harold
- DAN: @haroldzero $C Yes, I'd say it was a breakout from a base. Volume is good. By the end of the day, it'll have printed a high volume day. It's up 2.56% today, and it feels a bit late to be buying today...but I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a small position, and then adding to it tomorrow if the stock is acting well.
I'm not in this ticker at the moment, but I remain interested, and the company is currently presenting at the "Barclays Global Financial Services Conference". I'm sure that it's fascinating for all in attendance. This item caught my eye:
- Forexpro: Re: $JPM Hi, Friends, Continuing a theme, Jamie Dimon opines that $JPM's Q3 trading revenues will be off by c. 20 percent. Both $C and $GS have also indicates that trading revenues will be lower this quarter. As these businesses are almost infinitely scalable - as we used to say, "Doesn't take any longer to write a couple of extra zeroes on the ticket" - incremental revenue drops straight to the bottom line. Sadly, the reverse is also true, and a 20 percent decline in trading revenue will make a dent in overall earnings. Hope your day is going well; all the best!
- champ: @Forexpro $JPM $C $GS---- On $JPM, what they said was, trading rev would be down y/y by 20%, against tough comps, not Q/Q, it would be nice if they would report Q/Q but that would be to easy. They also said that they might not give trading rev guida ...
Forexpro: @champ $JPM $C $GS $BAC #up #down
You're correct, I didn't specify, but banks always offer business line comparisons on a year to year basis. There is some seasonality on both earnings and expense sides, making quarter to quarter co ...
- champ: @Forexpro $JPM $C $GS $BAC $MS #up #down --- I traded all 4 going into earnings, the last 3 reporting quarters but last time I sold all after JPM reported on the open and I only held 40% of $BAC into and thru earrings and I'm back in $BAC, for now but everything is day by day, for me, at this point because the markets could turn at any time. Thanks, for the info, Take Care!
Forexpro: Re: $C
Good Morning, Friends,
September 11 is always a somber occasion, especially when it is bright and sunny, as is the case today. Courtesy of TheFlyontheWall.com, via Interactive Brokers:
Citi CFO sees q3 markets revenue lower y/y, 'per ...
- grcjr: $JPM $BAC $GS $MS $C - if this group sucked you in this morning, they are taking it back, trading near yesterday's close.
- rjk: @Forexpro $BAC $COF $WFC $C $JPM $AXP $TD I've added this analysis, with other comments you have posted over the years, into my file of important tidbits to remember and review frequently. Your experience, knowledge, and wisdom are exceeded only by your generosity and kindness of spirit. With admiration and gratitude to you and so many other forum members, thank you. RJK
- Forexpro: @rjk $BAC $COF $WFC $C $JPM $AXP $TD You're Welcome, RJK, And thank you. I'm afraid that you're giving me way too much credit both intellectually and morally; please remember, I spent the bulk of my adult years on bank trading desks. :) Here's hoping that all is going well for you; thanks again, and all the best.
I read a piece by Doug Kass today; he was discussing banks - he was short a couple of tickers, very long another - and he mentioned a metric that has been more or less received wisdom among the CNBC pundit types. Yeah, you're correct, that likely me ...
- Geewhiz: @Forexpro $BAC $COF $WFC $C $JPM $AXP $TD I learn more from you at OMM/SMM than I did during my MBA quest. Perhaps I stay awake with the forum. ;-}
- JJT1: $GS $JNJ $BAC $C $JPM Little overweight in financials and wanted to wait till Yellen speaks tomorrow, But tired of $GS staying below averages so sold. $JNJ in a tight squeeze so thought better place and options cheap. STC $GS Sept 220calls and BTO Sept $JNJ 130 calls.
- JJT1: $C $BAC $JPM $GS all in the winner's circle (Kinda), sideways consolidation, (some longer than others) and having oversold bullish stochastic cross...
- grcjr: @DrScience $BAC $C $GS $JPM $MS all trading at/near a must hold level.
- Forexpro: Re: Banks Good Morning, Friends, Abrasive, feared bank analyst Mike Mayo has resurfaced at the latest of his many shops ($WFC), and has initiated coverage of his research universe. He has, according to SeekingAlpha, assigned "Outperform" ratings to $C, $BAC, $JPM, $GS, $STT, $STI (more of a superregional than the others) and $ZION (ditto). Doesn't mean that any or all of them will end the day higher, but it can't hurt. All the best!
- rjrtwilliams: $C Any thoughts.
- grcjr: @rjrtwilliams $C - most of the banks are doing well. $BAC $C $GS $JPM and $MS are all doing well. They all look good on a daily chart. See if your trading software will let you do a "compare" of all 5 (plus perhaps some not so good like $WFC). I've attached a 3 month daily chart. $C (the candles) looks to be the best but $GS is a close second. You can change the chart to focus on your time frame. When many are doing well it is tough to pick the best. Try to find the better picks.
- Forexpro: @grcjr $C $BAC $GS $JPM $MS $WFC Thanks Again, Grcjr, Here's a different look, via StockCharts: http://tinyurl.com/y9zlb8gc All the best!
- grcjr: @Forexpro $C $BAC $GS $JPM $MS $WFC - nice graph. Thanks.
- issues: @grcjr $C $BAC $GS $JPM $MS $WFC add $zion
- grcjr: $JPM $BAC $C my biggest % gainers this morning.
- JJT1: @grcjr $WFC This should have been baked in but thanks to poor coverage by CNBC, And $WFC inability to release any positive headlines, may get big tailed candle. I should have been out when I noticed my $BAC and $C going up and $WFC going oppo. I am probably going to capitulate today on $WFC Aug 52.50 calls...
- DrScience: $XLF , $BAC, $JPM, $C -- just to name a few -- squeezing. Regional banks ($RF, $STI) looking similar, but squeeze is inside the Keltner Channel is happening at the 50/200 DMA confluence. As @optionswealth noted, the $XLF has been a nice performer over the past two days. So... the powderkeg is primed. Just need a spark.
- Junior1: @DrScience $XLF $BAC $JPM $C $RF $STI A lot of the financials that have gapped up are setting up an evening star. On low volume.
- champ: @Junior1 $XLF $BAC $JPM $C $RF $STI ---- They are strong because of the Economic news that was reported this morning....and I'm still holding $C and $BAC....and $C is at another new high ....just keeps climbing....after great earnings....and $C is the Best of breed in the #Sector and is OutPerforming all the Banks....#ALL....the #Only bank that keeps making New Highs after earnings.
- Bridget: Earnings moves today: $CMI - gap down, broke the trend $RCL - set new high and now consolidating above breakout point $SHOP - same here, holding above $100 $UA - new 52 week low $ETN - pullback to 200dMA $S - strong move after the open $LL - gap and run to new 52 week high. Very extended $CGNX - big gap, inverted hammer on today $APD - squeeze breakout Earnings after close or tomorrow morning: $AAPL $FEYE $GRMN $HLF $PAYC $COHR $XLF looking good, $C new high $ALLY working $FCAU is holding up well while $F and $GM are falling $FB - consolidating for now $IDXX - looks like short set up $MHK - slowly moving higher after earnings
- champ: $SPY ---- Economic News will be reported in the morning...Personal Income, Personal Spending and the PCE Prices and Core all of these reports will have a #High Trading Impact on the markets in the morning....$XLF $XRT are a few sectors and both are working today. $C is leading most all the Banks higher today
- champ: @stevef214 $X $XME ---- The Reason is....$C downgraded $X to a ...#Sell... this morning and that #News dropped all the steel names......then the sector dropped....off of that News.
- JJT1: $C $BAC $WFC still within pinching BB
- JJT1: $C $BAC $WFC BB are pinching. B/O coming?
- Junior1: $XLF Gap and crap... 59 minute traders could have crushed this. $C $JPM
- champ: @debeers $MS just a great stock but $C is the % leader today and YTD......its really hard not to like both and I have positions
DAN: Good morning. The futures are pointing to a slightly higher open this morning, with the Nasdaq once again attracting the most buying. This entire week should be pretty busy, with several high-profile companies reporting earnings.
Netflix ($NFLX) r ...
- Robert1965: $FAS is down in PM .40, Looks like banks reported $C and $JPM didn't meet expeditions
- champ: @Robert1965 $FAS $C $JPM ---- I'm seeing that $C beat on earnings by $0.07 and revenue by $600m.....all is good for $C and I had a post yesterday $XLF about what I thought was going to happen and it looks like I was right. $JPM they also beat but is dropping because of light guidance but I have NP in $JPM...for many reasons.
- audrina0904: @Robert1965 $FAS $C $JPM Trading results of these banks are all likely to be pretty bad after $JPM and $C results
- bigbartabs: @Robert1965 $FAS $C $JPM ... $TNX is rolling over... making it harder for a positive outlook for bigger loan margins. The whole nation may be in another refinancing frenzy soon.
- phgruver: @bigbartabs $FAS $C $JPM $TNX Why would people refinance? They already have rates under 4%. The closing costs could easily exceed the interest savings. I know that's what the "experts" keep saying, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
- bRobert: $C $JPM $GS IMHO With a long term view, good opportunity to add on weakness
- champ: @bRobert $C $JPM $GS ---- Thats exactly right but maybe not today. I had 2 day trades earlier but out for now, no real need to be in any hurry. Need to see how these names shake-out but I'm still holding a position in $BAC and a small position in $C. However, I sold even more of my positions yesterday in the AH's. I had NP"s in $JPM or $GS because of the trading news that I read about, from the CEO of $MS. The markets are not easy for traders and they never are but they are easier for those trades/investors who do their research/home work and who spent the right of amount of time, doing all the hard work, that is required. The markets are still very strong but their is danger everywhere and it could turn at anytime.
- michaelH: $C re buying $C here after having sold at the top of the Bollinger band a week or so ago
- bigbartabs: @phgruver $FAS $C $JPM $TNX ... why would people refinance? Well, the difference between a 3% and 4% loan, 30 years, for $300k... is $60,000+ in interest paid. That would pay a helluva lot of closing costs. Not to mention near a $200/mo less of a payment.
- JJT1: $S $C I guess it's single letter ticker day for me. BTO Aug $S 8 calls in case rumors and or b/o continues. Spec small cheap. Wanted to buy $FAS but seemed like chasing, instead liked $C and nice pullback to a Hammer Candle today. Maybe early. BTO Aug $C 62.50 calls.
- champ: $XLF $FAS ---- The exceptions for banks like $C is....a slow down in loans and trading results is expected to have a impact on earnings in Q2. On June 13 the CEO at $MS said that he is expecting #Trading revenues to be down in Q2 between 12 and 13%.... the bottom line is... I'm still holding a position in $C but only 1/2 size now because I took profits a few days back on the other 1/2 on the turn. Also we could get a sell the news but that will probably not happen until later on in the morning, like last time and it might not even happen. However, I'm still positive on bank earnings but before I just in with both feet I'm holding back a little on the other names, that are not reporting tomorrow, before I add to my positions.
- Samik: Dan .. any thoughts on these ? They were in your recommendations chart of the days/triggers over the last 1 month. $CC $THC $SMTC $SINA $WB $ LITE. Would also love to have your views on $C
DAN: @Samik $CC $THC $SMTC $SINA $WB $C
$C -- Good uptrend. Pullback here works, as long as it holds above, say, $65.
$CC -- Looks like it could test $46, which is last month's all time high. Kind of a sloppy chart though. Not really a "base" ...
- Samik: @DAN $CC $THC $SMTC $SINA $WB $C $SMH Yes it works Dan. Tx. Will I be right to conclude that I can top up my stocks for $C $THC ?
- DAN: @Samik $CC $THC $SMTC $SINA $WB $C $SMH Not sure what you are referring to (I think you mis-typed). But if you're asking if C and THC are good stocks to have...Yes! Definitely are.
- Samik: @DAN $CC $THC $SMTC $SINA $WB $C $SMH Yes, that is what I meant i.e should I add to my existing portfolio of $C $THC. Had bought them based on your reading of the charts a few weeks ago. Will add to both of these on the next pull back. Tx.
- champ: $XLF ---- #News on Trading revs for a few of the Big Banks and all had Great trading revs on their last earrings reports...and I don't really think of $MS as a Bank but they were the % leader on trading revs and their #'s were up a big 29%, $JPM were ...
- champ: @bsafriet $BAC $C $WFC $DB $MS $JPM $AAOI $AMAT $LRCX $AVGO $NVDA $COHR $OLED $IIVI $IPGP $MU $VEEV $ADBE $GLW $AXTI $LITE $OCLR $NOVT $ANET $FNSR $MTSI $TSLA $LABD $Dan $WB $MOMO $TCEHY $NTES $BIDU #Trading #Spec #Positions #Economic #Non-Farm #Addi ...
- champ: $BAC $C -- I'm still holding both of these swing positions from before the Banks Stress Tests and I caught a very nice move up on both....with large positions... but because I'm up....I'm now thinking about adding #Trading Positions on both going int ...
- bsafriet: @champ $BAC $C $WFC $DB #Trading #Spec #Positions #Economic #Non-Farm #Additional Why not take partial profits in your long positions in. $BAC and $C and let the rest ride (play with the house's money)? I'm long $MS, $C and $JPM and thinking about a ...
- michaelH: $C taking profits on $C ; every time its over the upper Bollinger band it pulls back; doubt this time is different.
- DAN: Good morning. We're looking for a higher open this morning, as the S&P is up 3.75 and the Dow is up 14 points. However, the high profile tech stocks are only very slightly higher, and I suspect that we will continue to see money rotating out of ...
- Bridget: $C is at a new high. Surprised that it is seeing some movement today.
- champ: $XLF ---- $C and $BAC both hanging around last weeks highs for now and I really believe both will move up even higher on Wednesday and the rest of the week going into earnings on the following week and they start on 7/14...making an earnings run but with with Zig-Zags along the way....the 10 year is is really kidding the sector higher as interest rates climb off of the $TNX.....no real surprise for me as... I have been posting.
- audrina0904: @champ $XLF $C $BAC $TNX Agree with you...I think we see a run in financials in general into earnings season.
- champ: @ROSEY $XLE $XLF $BAC $C #Sand #Real #Bent #NEWS #Economic #Strong #Consumer #Economy #HealthCare #Political #ExtremelyBad #Impeachment #Opinion #Political #Bent #Brent ___ Yes, Brent is the name of Oil that they sell in Europe and the U.S. ETF is $BNO....can't really talk about Politics...I was just saying that the Political news could move the stock market around, like what happen when the Markets got that last big drop of over 500 points....I was just just saying that we need to be aware of the news....I'm not going to talk about that type of news.
- champ: $XLE $XLF ---- $XLE Oil had a very large move on Friday and was up $1.14 and has now broke thru the $46 level and is now up 10% off the lows and if we have good Oil Inventory numbers next week...this move in oil will continue the climb back to $50... ...
|Stock Price||$USD 77.11|
Citigroup Inc is a financial services holding company. It provides financial products and services, including consumer banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage and wealth management.Request Video of C
Already a member? Sign in here.
- January 16th, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 32.71 14.41%
- $USD 14.30 13.61%
- $USD 10.32 11.92%
- $USD 18.51 -8.24%
- $USD 11.84 -5.74%
- $USD 9.15 -4.80%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 52,900 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (52,900) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!