Applied Optoelectronics Inc. (NASDAQ:AAOI)
Old Forum Content for AAOIMake a Forum Post Become a member to view recent forum posts. Already a member? Sign in here.
- di36464: $AAOI I almost sold this stock, till I saw Bridget's post to mind the 200 day ma. I held off and it's moving up.
- Dan1946: $AAOI: Continues to fall. I purchased fore a long term investment. Very difficult to hold .....
- Bridget: @Dan1946 $AAOI At this point, I would hold as long as this stays above the 200MA.
- issues: @Dan1946 $AAOI We took our hit and got out at a significant loss. My bad trade for the year!
DAN: $AAOI -- I'm seeing a few posts about this stock. A few thoughts:
1. I'd sell now. What's the difference between owning this stock at $55.85, and owning some other stock at the market price for that stock? Answer: Nothing. It's all the same. Y ...
- antfarm: $AAOI BTC Sept 01st 60 Puts @ 0.50 when $AAOI was at 60.12. Originally sold for 1.60 on Aug 24th.
- GOOSE: $AAOI Up 1.83 today. Bullish Engulfing. Holding Short Puts. Has been consolidating. Bottoming or bottomed.
- issues: @GOOSE $AAOI I think it's a fake out, not a break out. Why? Just a hunch.
- GOOSE: A TRADE: $AAOI STO 9/1/17 57.5 PUTS @..50
- GOOSE: $AAOI, $UVXY Will be looking to sell some puts on these two stocks tomorrow. Lowest price for $UVXY since May is 28.70, has been a reverse split though, if that means anything. There will be no charge against my margin because of my short calls. Support at 29.0. $AAOI low since May is 58.60, so I'll probably sell the 58.0's. Will wait to see if the stock price will come down for a better premium though.
- GOOSE: TRADE: $AAOI STO 8/1/17 59.0 PUTS @1.05 & 1.10 58.0 Is Support. Hasn't closed below 59.0 since June 29th. One week to go. ;>)
- GOOSE: $AAOI Lowest volume since March today. I take it as a good sign. Just went positive by a couple of cents. Put on some short puts earlier today.
- antfarm: $AAOI Sold to open Sept 01st 60 Puts @ 1.60 when $AAOI was at 62.09.
- grcjr: $AAOI looks to be moving into the close.
- woodman: @grcjr $AAOI all the #Optical stocks seem to have gotten on their horses in the last half hour of trade.
- bsafriet: @grcjr $AAOI All the optical component makers got a bid starting at 15:25 today. A tender for optical components by China Mobile was responsible for the move. Huawei is likely to take 50% of the order, the remainder split split between component makers(???). Attributed to Jun Zhang of Rosenblatt.
- tri2insite: #DAN $AAOI what do you think about AAOI here. .support?
- DAN: @tri2insite $AAOI #DAN No! I'd take it off my screen for a while. It's just about forming an Abe Lincoln pattern. (Abe Lincoln pattern -- a pattern that I just made up. Like a head and shoulder pattern...only with a stove pipe hat on the head).
- tri2insite: @DAN $AAOI #DAN LOL.could be followed by his beard also eh? Thx
- JBed: $AAOI unconfirmed buyout rumor. Day trade with 2% trailing stop.
- Henry: @JBed $AAOI In a world of lame rumors this one is pretty bad. A bunch of tweets saying there are a bunch of tweets about a takeover.
- bsafriet: @tjv821 $NVDA $AAOI Thanks!
- bsafriet: @Geewhiz $NVDA $AAOI Thank you for your compliment. I'm driven by something within to understand what is going on around me. I guess I'm like a dog with a bone, just won't give it up. The lesson learned here is that forward guidance always trumps yesterday's performance. The next few days will tell us what to do with $NVDA. I'm waiting for clarity before I make any adjustment to my position. Fortunately I've got a profit cushion that was partially hedged with options. My losses won't grow so I can afford to be patient for a few days. Hope your losses are are contained as well.
- bsafriet: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA It is the basic human emotions of fear and greed. "All the guests are in a crowded ballroom and intend to leave before midnight when they know that they will turn into pumpkins. The problem is that there is no clock." -- Warren Buffet
- Ottawagreg: @bsafriet $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA I realize the greed aspect, but why is ER the trigger. Institutional organizations and most seasoned traders know what is in the report. In the case of NVDA yesterday, it seems to me that NVDA should have been selling off through the week if peeps did not like the ER or guidance. After the bell it is too late. At least for one like me, i do not have AH trading access.
- Ottawagreg: @Forexpro $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @rj7150 $AAOI $FN $SIMO $COHR $LRCX thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @mopick $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @JustJoe $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @bsafriet $AAOI $MTSI $COHR thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Ottawagreg: @optionswealth $AAOI thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your sharing you opinions and insight.
- Mpower27: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA how do they know what's in the report?
- vfr777: $AAOI looking at support holding around $62. buying small for a short term run to the 50day around $74.
- tjv821: @bsafriet $NVDA $AAOI great job
- issues: Zacks under "momentum" lists these: $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS
- humble: @issues $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS $KRO is this a short squeeze? Any of the others?
- issues: @humble $ICHR $KRO $CC $AAOI $PETS Good question. The only vol squeeze would be $PETS. shorts $AAOI 48% HUGE! $PETS 16% High. $KRO 9% and $ICHR and $CC small shorts.
- gwenzee: @Ottawagreg $IBM $HAL $CSX $ISRG $AAOI $NVDA You might try Nasdaq.com, click on Markets, click on Before or After markets. You can build your list and check those after and before markets open. Hope this helps.
- DAN: Good morning. Futures are down this morning as the North Korean situation starts to matter. I haven't been positive on gold because I just haven't seen much movement. However, it's starting to perk up, so I think it's worth mentioning. A move abo ...
- bsafriet: $NVDA. Decided to hold position. Sold OTM calls to help pay for protective puts. After my $AAOI debacle, I really wanted to sell but decided better of it. Every time I've sold $NVDA, I've regretted it -- but with the news that Andrew Left as shorted $NVDA again, I'm glad I held! Will know in 5 minutes!
- ROSEY: @DAN $GLD $MDY $IWM $FB $AMZN $NFLX $GOOGL $AAPL $NVDA $AAOI $PI $LOGM The comments in the A.M. are so helpful in direction of the day and then the nighttime videos help so much also, but you already knew that. Thanks Dan.
- DAN: @ROSEY $GLD $MDY $IWM $FB $AMZN $NFLX $GOOGL $AAPL $NVDA $AAOI $PI $LOGM Hey Rosey. Thanks very much for the great feedback. I'm glad the combo is working for you! 8-)
Maybe the fly in the ointment is fwd guidance. $NVDA did not provide an explicit Q3'17 eps range, so I took a stab at it using the numbers provided for non-GAAP revenue, gross margin, operating expenses, tax rate, and capitol investment. Mind you, ...
- Geewhiz: @bsafriet $NVDA $AAOI Thank you for your excellent efforts. Much appreciated.
- Ottawagreg: It seems many companies had very good Q2 ERs or even killer awesome eps and revenues, and got no love or support in the market. A few that come to mind without looking anything up, $IBM, $HAL, $CSX, $ISRG, $AAOI, and today $NVDA. So perhaps they were all too expensive, or overpriced. I get that, no questions. Why does it come to ERs and "guidance" and then they pull the lever on the trap door. Why doesn't the stock just lower in price naturally. Everyone waits and watches for what the report is, when most everyone in western civilizations already knows and suddenly the roof is on fire and its is SELL, SELL! Makes no sense to me. Just curious,
- bsafriet: $AAOI $IPGP $IIVI $AXTI $ESIO $AAOI getting hammered today. Back at post earnings low (ouch). Watching the rest and looking for the news driving the move in $ESIO today post earnings.
- bsafriet: @Vehid $LITE #newbie Definitely bearish. Testing support at 57. If this breaks and the SMA(100) doesn't hold, this stock should be in your rear view mirror. Reported morning with a $0.05 eps beat but a revenue miss. Guides eps in-line, but revenue guidance at $245 - $265 mln significantly below consensus $271.55 mln. China demand shortfall is hurting near term sales. Move to 100G transceivers should result in sales recovery by end of year, similar to $AAOI. They are also seeing strong demand for 3D sensing products ($AAPL ??), but these products do not make up sales lost because of downturn in China long haul market. Would expect poor stock price performance for at least 1 if not two quarters. If your holding long term consider call option writes. Otherwise, you can find better places for your money. Hope this helps.
- bsafriet: @Ottawagreg $AAOI we have all been there and done that - I know that's not much comfort, but we do feel your pain. Remember this lesson and don't let yourself be put in this position again if you can help it - but always remember #$%# happens! That ...
- traderbren: $AAOI -- nice bounce in $AAOI this AM
- Iceman: $AAOI #ShortPuts - a couple of random shorter term trades on this name. Sold 1 Sep 15 2017 55.0 Put @ 2.20 with the stock at 63.63 Sold 1 (Weekly) Sep 22 2017 50.0 Put @ 1.40 with the stock at 63.35
- DAN: @Iceman $AAOI #ShortPuts I think that's your trade. Not long stock..but short puts.
- gilman23smm: @JBed $LITE I bought calls last week in anticipation of earnings but it has been dragged down by the $AAOI earnings call. I will probably just hold onto the calls now with the "hope" strategy.
- bwcarnation1: $AAOI @Dan since I missed todays move would it make sense to wait till it goes above the 8/4 hi of $75 to buy
- DAN: @bwcarnation1 $AAOI I wouldn't buy it here. or even at $75. Stock really got hammered, and it's got a ton of supply overhead. Oversold rebound today, which is nice. While anything can happen to the stock, it's just not something I'd buy.
- JustJoe: @Ottawagreg $AAOI , welcome to smm. All of us here have made the mistake you just made. It ruins your confidence and it hurts. Going forward have a plan for which stocks to buy, at speicific prices, then know what price you'll sell them at. Learn to put stops on your trading stocks. These are some of the key lessons you learn here at SMM. What doen'st kill you makes you stronger. Big losses are what new traders often experience. Learning to trade is a journey of learning what kind of person you. Be honest with yourself, be honest with your comments in SMM, take Dans advice on how to trade, listen to what other members are trading and you will make money. I'm living proof smm works.
- Ottawagreg: I am very new to SMM, and new to trading my on my own. I moved 401(k) $$$ into a TD account at start of this year. I have been floundering around mostly but made some money, and lost some too. However I was positive about 3%. I found SMM through ...
- PhilHarmonic: @Ottawagreg $AAOI My advice to you is to sell this stock and to make up your losses with a different stock. If you keep this stock then you are telling yourself that it will perform better than any other stock you could pick on this day. But this is not true. The reason you would want to keep this stock is to prove to yourself that you did not make bad choices. And while you wait for this stock to come back to your break even point, you will suffer much anxiety and depression. Its best to get rid of your losers and use the money for more profitable purchases. Dan talks about this in almost every strategy session when the market is acting choppy. $AAOI could easily go to $40.00 per share. It may not but if it does your losses will increase and you will be very unhappy.
Forexpro: @Ottawagreg $AAOI
While it isn't helpful, it is true that in all probability every one of us at SMM has done something similar. Many of us, no doubt, have experienced it more than once. As Dan reminds us from time to time, that ...
- rj7150: @Ottawagreg $AAOI Welcome to SMM. I held through earnings as well. We are where we are and in a situation like this it is best to look at it as if it was a new trade. If I didn't already hold it, I wouldn't buy it. It is unfortunate that you hold it ...
- mopick: @Ottawagreg $AAOI First of all I would never put a stock like this in my retirement account. WAY too volatile. Given that, I would not sell it. You know the fundamentals of the company, they are excellent. Revenue doubled, earnings up 800%. Problem is the stock has been such a gigantic winner that any imperfection is met with a deluge of selling, as witnessed on Friday. I would monitor the stock and, once I felt it had reached some kind of bottom, I would gradually add to it. Ultimately, this is going to be a long-term proposition. Just my humble opinion.
- optionswealth: @Ottawagreg $AAOI I empathize with your dilemma and have been in a losing position myself. What I have learned is that if I don't get out, then all my time and attention gets sucked up by that position while it does what it does, and I don't make mo ...
- optionswealth: @Ottawagreg $AAOI Use Dan's 1% rule to help you decide what to do.
- ROSEY: @Forexpro $INTU Thanks for comments and also wishing You good things Just thinking out loud....with so much(financial) information out there, that like the IBM chess game , humans are at a disadvantage to the machines....but, heh,heh,heh...they don't account for or understand human vagaries....(like $AAOI perhaps) or the impulse to buy something different than what was expected by the machine. Just musing....no real knowledge.
- Henry: $AAOI A streetcar that passed me by. Sometime Dan has a stock that just doesn't inspire you. You watch it go up everyday, every strategy session and finally get in at the top. I didn't do that this time. I looked at the earnings expecting to see disaster and their revs only increased 112%? People would rather put their money in $GPRO
- Iceman: #Premarket $EFII -37%. $AAOI -25% on Q2 earnings. $PI -21% on Q2 earnings. $INFN -13% on Q2 earnings. $MELI -9% on Q2 earnings. $VIAB -9% on Q2 earnings.
- cziegra: @DAN $AAPO do you mean $AAOI?
- DAN: @cziegra $AAPO $AAOI Sorry. YES. AAOI. Sorry about that!
- Henry: @DAN $AAOI 72 didn't hold but 70 did, inside and up on the 5 min candle
- Junior1: @Henry $AAOI $GPRO I hear you! I sold the last bit of that dog, $GPRO, yesterday... no way was I holding over earnings
- DAN: $SWIR $AAOI $EFII -- @issues and @maratom71 asked about SWIR yesterday and I said that it was really best to wait for the next day (i.e., today) to see if the stock was done being sold. Today, it's up more than 7%. Nice oversold bounce. It didn't ...
- antfarm: $AAOI Sold Aug 25th Puts @ 1.40 when $AAOI was at 71.26
- issues: Bought $AAOI $72 and $SWIR $25. Still holding $ANET but considering selling some. Sold 1/4 $PI (even).
- Nepenthe: @DAN $SWIR $AAOI $EFII $PI And I imagine $PI would fall into the same category of " wait until the next day?" No position, but tempted this morning, and now floundering around 38 or so. Will wait until tomorrow, oops, Monday to reassess. Safe travels.
- DAN: @Nepenthe $SWIR $AAOI $EFII $PI Probably wait until Monday...though it is still holding at the 200 day moving average. So that seems to be a logical support level. But I'm not sure you'd be missing a similar entry on Monday. Your choice.
- DAN: @Henry $AAOI Right.
- DAN: @Henry $AAOI $GPRO HUGE move in GPRO. If you own it, you should have your Hero cam turned on. I couldn't buy it up 25%...but frankly, the stock looks like it is going to Pluto.
- RBaker: $AAOI I have been watching as it sells off. Shadow Trader on TOS suggests it could come down to 50ish range. On the run up, I have made some money on Put options, but they all expired before earnings. I agree with the wait till Monday strategy.
- Dan1946: $AAOI: I might lose all my money owning this stock. Good company, good earnings > down 32%? This is a soul mate of another stock I own: $LAUB
- justinp: @RBaker $AAOI That selling picked up below $70. Was looking as well but waiting seems wise here.
- Iceman: $AAOI #ShortPuts #FallingKnife - Sold 1 AAOI Sep 15 2017 55.0 Put @ 1.40 with the stock at 69.10 Staying very small on this stock
- billybob_jethro: @RBaker $AAOI The selling picked up when a law firm starting to troll for plaintiff's in a class action lawsuit against $AAOI for not telling shareholders about the guidance. Seems a bit hokey but it caused the sell off
- RBaker: @billybob_jethro $AAOI thanks for that insight. The stock had a massive run up over the last couple of months, so I can see how any negitive news might spook the traders.
- Robert1965: $AAOI is up $2.50 in PM 96.06
- audrina0904: $AAOI - down 15% AH?
- audrina0904: @audrina0904 $AAOI Now down 20%, I guess their pre announcement has been followed with weak guidance...I'm afraid that this thing may fall a long ways... NP
- barbjim12: @audrina0904 $AAOI WOW!!!!!!! glad I sold before this drop. What is causing this?
- audrina0904: @barbjim12 $AAOI Weak guidance going forward...its almost criminal after just preannouncing...It's not like they just now came to the realization that business would be weakening.
- optionswealth: @audrina0904 $AAOI They just cost themselves future reliability. I'm not in it but if I were, I'd never forget it.
- Mpower27: @audrina0904 $AAOI now down 28% at 4:30. I was curious to see what would happen after the big pre announcement run up. Did their pre earnings bump up come in the new range or did that come in under?
- DAN: @audrina0904 $AAOI I just dipped a toe into the AAOI water. Just a toe. Rationale...it's down 30% when I'm buying. How much money can I lose after buying down 30%? I guess we'll find out.
- audrina0904: @DAN $AAOI - LOL That always gets me in trouble... I just think that what they just pulled is pretty dirty and wall street wont soon forget.
- gilman23smm: @audrina0904 $AAOI Very happy that I got out of this one a couple of weeks ago, although it is pulling down the $LITE that I have been holding.
- JJT1: @shoredriver $PI $AAOI Apparently there is a conspiracy going on as companies beat on profits and revs and then lower guidance going forward...
- tigerjohn8: @DAN $AAOI I got a fraction of a position for 69.2 (I did something like this with $COST a couple weeks ago and didnt' get a bounce there) so I'm keeping my position size larger than play money but much smaller than I won't sleep tonight (ditto that I'm happy I sold this a couple weeks ago)
- shoredriver: @JJT1 $PI $AAOI saw the earnings, did not see g-drop yet
- bsafriet: $AAOI $72.00 -25.99 (-26.52%) 16:34 EDT @Bridget I now know why you sell half your position ahead of qtrly -- I was going to going into close but got distracted with my $TSLA and $AAPL bear credit spreads *sigh* -- guess I subconsciously didn't want ...
- Bobbie: $AAOI, I took a starter small position at 63; Should I take profit today, or hold over earnings? My original goal was to hold this for at least two years.
- infocus: @Bobbie $AAOI If you sell, you can always buy it back after earnings. Two years is a long time...
- PhilHarmonic: @Bobbie $AAOI You could sell 1/2 of your position for a nice profit and buy back later, after earnings.
- antfarm: $AAOI BTC Aug 11th 65 Puts @ .50. Originally sold @ 2.55 Earnings 8/3 After market.
|Stock Price||$USD 40.17|
Applied Optoelectronics Inc is a vertically integrated provider of fiber-optic networking products, for three networking markets: cable television, fiber-to-the-home and internet data center such as components, sub-assemblies and modules, among others.Request Video of AAOI
Already a member? Sign in here.
- February 22nd, 2018 - 2017 Q4 Earnings
- $USD 6.45 29.55%
- $USD 50.58 23.64%
- $USD 60.45 20.69%
- $USD 6.92 -26.93%
- $USD 10.01 -25.53%
- $USD 23.67 -20.17%
Stock Market Mentor gives you EVERYTHING you need to succeed in the market; all in one place. How easy is that? Dan Fitzpatrick and his elite community of traders share trading ideas, strategies and much more. Dan Fitzpatrick--a world class Technical Analyst, trading coach and regular CNBC contributor--gives you access to all of this with a 14 day FREE membership. Get started TODAY and start trading better TOMORROW with the following premium content:
- Nightly video Strategy Sessions with a game plan for tomorrow
- Got a stock you want Dan to look at? Just ask.
- Patent pending video alerts instantly delivered to you when one of Dan’s trading signals is triggered. This is not your typical price alert. This is a short video explaining the action you need to take to make money. No more “Woulda, coulda, shoulda”
- Access to over 52,100 stock analysis videos
- Access an ever expanding library (52,100) of educational videos that will save you time and make you money
Join a team of friends and traders that have one thing in common; a burning desire to succeed.
Become a Member Today!
Gain immediate access to all our exclusive articles, features, how-to's, discussion group and much more...
Your Stock Market Mentor membership comes with a 14 day, no questions asked, 100% money back guarantee!